Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ABBREVIATION 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

padovano

Petroleum
Dec 13, 2006
CM
English is not my first language.I studied in Italian and now am working as a process Engineer in French. I would like to know the meaning of PFD and PID in process engineering. I think am doing and using these two words but would like to know what they actaully stand for in English.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A PFD is a Process Flow Diagram and a PID is a Piping and Instrumentation Diagram.

Milton Beychok
(Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

Process Flow Diagram (PFD) is the diagram where it is a macro level flow diagram of any manufacturing plant or process with indication of only material stream and not detail instrumentation,control valve tags,Piping specification etc on the line where PID means micro version of PFD , piping and instrumentation diagram which includes all instrumentation like Temperature transmiters,pressure transmitters,control valves tags etc. including safety valves ,ball valves etc. detail drawing.

Thanks & Regards,

I have always used the "&" sign in my version of the P&ID for "piping and instrumentation diagram."
We pronounced it with more of the "n" sound as in P-n-ID.

One thing to add: PID can also refer to a very common type of controller, a Proportional-Integral-Derivative controller. (
Therefore, it is a good idea to always write "P&ID" and to say "P-and-I-D," like pennpier mentioned, when referring to drawings. If referring to the controller, you may have to say "PID controller" to make it clear what you mean.

P.S. sometimes works for acronyms, although coverage of technical topics is poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back