Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Abbreviations for Bolt Types 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddeck

Mechanical
Jul 4, 2005
CA
Wonder if there is a standard for bolt names and their abbreviations. We have a limited description field (30 characters) and don't want to write Socket Head Cap Screw. We have a copy of CSA approved abbriviations for single words, but it doesn't contain anything on bolts.

I'm thinking...
Socket Head Cap Screw => SHCP
Hex Head Cap Screw => HHCS
Button Head Socket Screws => BHSS
Flat Head Socket Screws => FHSS

What do other people/companies use? Any type of standard for this stuff.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are idetifying with a part number, why not just put "screw" or "bolt" in the desc.

Mine usually goes something like this...

SCREW, SOCKET HD. <--- THIS IS A STANDARD WAY TO IDENTIFY PARTS. IF YOU LOOK AT MIL SPECS, THEY ARE ALL LISTED LIKE THIS.(AND ONLY 15 CHARS)

Wes C.
------------------------------
There are no engineers in the hottest parts of hell, because the existence of a 'hottest part' implies a temperature difference, and any marginally competent engineer would immediately use this to run a heat engine and make some other part of hell comfortably cool. This is obviously impossible.

The requirement for abbreviation comes when you want to indicate that it is a 1/4" screw, 2.5" long, fine thread and made from stainless steel.

Our system only allows 25 characters in the description field. We use similar abbreviations as proposed by the OP, except we use SHCS instead of SHCP.

Typical: HHCS,1/4NFx2.1/2,SS

To do the same with Wes' suggestion:
SCREW,HEX HD.,1/4NFX2.1/2,SS would use 28 characters, and thus is no good for us.

Dean

I don't think there is a national or international standard for this. Most I have seen have all been internally developed.

We use:
ABS= ABS Plastic Material, a class of plastics based on acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene copolymers
ALU= Aluminum Material, specify 5052-H32, 6061-T6 or other
BHR= Button Head Roberson
BHS= Button Head Hex Socket
BHT= Button Head Torx Socket
BRS= Brass Material
BRZ= Bronze Material
BUT= Butt-type wire connector terminal
CAR= Carriage Bolt/screw
CPR= Copper Material
CRS= Cold Rolled/Drawn/Finished Steel, 1008-1020 unless specified
CSL= Castleated nut
DLN= Derlin Material, an acetal thermoplastic polymer
DWS= Drywall Screw
ESL= External Star Lockwasher
ESN= Elastic Stop Nut, normally a hex nut with a nylon locking insert
FAB= Fabric Material
FDR= Fender Washer
FHH= Flat Head Hex Socket Screw
FHP= Flat Head Phillips Screw
FHR= Flat Head Roberston Screw
FHS= Flat Head Slotted Screw
FHT= Flat Head Torx Socket Screw
FIP= Fillister Head Phillips Screw
FIS= Fillister Head Slotted Screw
FLA= Flag Slip-on Crimp Terminal
FLG= Serrated Flange Nut
FLT= Flat Washer
HEX= Standarad Hex Nut or Screw
HRS= Hot Rolled Steel, 1008-1020 unless specified
HSS= Hex Socket Set Screw, Cup-point
HWH= Hex Washer Slotted Head Screw
HYD= Hydraulic
INS= Insulated
IRS= Inner Rollstop
ISL= Internal Star Lockwasher
JAM= Thin Hex Nut or Jam Nut
LTX= Latex Material
MTR= Motor
NPN= Neoprene Material
NYL= Nylon Material
OHP= Oval Head (countersunk) Phillips Screw
OHS= Oval Head (countersuck) Slotted Screw
PBK= Piggyback Slip Crimp Terminal
PEN= Polyethylene Material
PHP= Pan Head Phillips Screw
PHR= Pan Head Robertson Screw
PHS= Pan Head Slotted Screw
PMP= Pump
POP= Blind Hole "pop" Rivet
PPN= Polypropylerne Material
PSR= Pan Head Slotted Robertson Screw
PVC= Polyvinyl Chloride Material
RBR= Rubber Material
RHP= Round Head Phillips Screw
RHR= Round Head Robertson Screw
RHS= Round Head Slotted Screw
RNG= Ring Crimp terminal
SCL= Self-Clinching "Pem" Nut or Screw
SEO= Stepless Ear Hose Clamp, Oiled SST
SHC= Socket Hex Head Cap Screw
SLP= Slip-on Crimp Terminal
SMI= Semi-tubular Rivet
SPL= Split Lockwasher
SQR= Square Nut or Screw head
SSC= Shoulder SCrew Custom, requires drawing
SSS= Shoulder Screw Standard Hex Socket
SST= Stainless Steel, 304 unless specified
STD= Standard
STL= Steel
TEE= "T" Nut or Connector
THP= Truss Head Phillips Screw
THS= Truss HEad Slotted Screw
TWS= Threshold Warning Device
VNL= Vinyl Material
WDC= Worm Drive Hose Clamp
WNG= Wing Nut or Screw

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

In the Aerospace world, the part numbers identify the size and length,

for example,

NAS623-3-10, is a Universal head steel alloy machine screw with a cross recess & short thread rated to 160Ksi. The suffox identifier 3 corrisponds to a .19-32 UNJF-3A, and the -10 relates to a grip length in 1/16 incriments (10/16=.625) with a total lenght being 5/16's in addition to the grip.

I thought Mcmaster-Carr gave part numbers to identify ever part of the screw, (grip, material, length, nominal dia, head type, slot type, etc..) but i don't have the catalogue in here in front of me...

but this is off topic... the desc for this is what I put.

SCREW, PAN HEAD 160KSI STL ALY <---- 30 CHARACTARS.

If I needed less char I'd probablly do.

SCREW, PAN, 160K STL ALY

But If you need to identfy the part you are using in the desc. Then, it might be a good idea to come up with a "parts" list for your purchasing people to cross reference a type of screw, based on a numbering systems similar to the aircraft part config mgmt.... Or increase the amount of space you can use in your desc. line....

Wes C.
------------------------------
There are no engineers in the hottest parts of hell, because the existence of a 'hottest part' implies a temperature difference, and any marginally competent engineer would immediately use this to run a heat engine and make some other part of hell comfortably cool. This is obviously impossible.

I got a copy of CSA standard abbreviations but its missing a couple of entries I need. Any opinions on the following words

Phillips (maybe PHLP)
Shoulder (maybe SHLD)
Square (maybe SQR)
Metal (maybe METL)

I need to keep bolt style names to 19 characters. The one I'm having a problem with is a "Pan Head Phillips Sheet Metal Screw"

SCRW, PAN HD PHILLIPS SHT METAL

11 characters to long, any ideas on how to trim it??

Phillips = PHIL
Metal = MTL

Do spaces count as characters in your system? If so, drop the spaces after commas. Sheet metal screws are also know as Type: A, AB, B, BP, C, D, F, G, T, BF, BT, U. You could probably leave off the "Type" description when stating the size.

SCRW,PHP,#10x5/8-AB

ddeck,

I have a lot of experience generating 30 character part descriptions. Very few screws can be described completely and understandably in thirty characters.

I have seen abbreviations like yours, but I would not want to have to run them past our purchasing department. Be prepared for messed up order, and regular phone calls explaining your abbreviations. I have tried adding descriptive info like the material into the part number field, but this confuses our purchasing too.

wes616 is right about part numbers. If you do not want to use MIL, NAS and manufacturer's numbers, you can generate your own. Just create specification sheets describing the screws in as much detail as you want. Be prepared to issue the specification to your suppliers.

If you have a part number, your part description can be much more cryptic.

JHG

You're having trouble with 30 characters (we use 40) and ddeck is trying to work with only 19.

Allen4, thanks for the great link.

drawoh, I'm with you about taking info out of the description. We use part number like mil spec by using dash number for diameter and lenth.

-5C-12L = 5/16" UNC bolt thats 12/16" long and self-Locking.

I vote was for just "SCREW, PHILLIPS HEAD MACHINE" but was out voted. Initial they wanted material and thread pitch in the title along with the diameter, length and head style. The part number has all the information, so I see it as redundant. Plus in manuals and installation drawing you don't tell them to use a 1/4-20 2" bolt, you say use this part #.

Just to clarify we have 30 characters, but to do the diameter and length (with 3 decimal places) it takes 11 characters. Does anybody else put diameter and length in the description? Do you use 2 or 3 decimal places?

ddeck,

Here is how I handled a metric machine screw...

Part number: DIN965 PHIL ST STL
Description: SCR MACH FLAT HD M2.5X0.45X12

Note how I moved the socket and material into the part number column. Our purchasing people seem to be trained now. It has been a while since I have been told that "DIN965 PHIL ST STL" is not a valid part number.

Having a separate part number and description field drives me nuts. If these guys integrated the fields into one of 60 characters, my life, and probably yours, would be way simpler.

JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back