Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About fire extinguisher in crawl space

Status
Not open for further replies.

lzh007

Mechanical
Jan 17, 2005
CA
Do we need to put fire extinghuishers in crawl space according to NFPA? it is only about 1 meter high inside. I think it is impossible for people running to get fire extinguisher in emergency.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the building combustible or noncombustible construction?
Is the building required to be protected by an automatic sprinkler system?
What is the occupancy of the building?

The building is wood construction and is protected by sprinkler system even in crawl space. Office area on main floor and residential on 2nd and 3rd floor. But there is nothing in crawl space.

Yes there is - wood. You have combustible construction. Sprinkler protection is required in the floor ceiling area of the 1st floor unless you can subdivided it in accordance with Chapter 8 of NFPA 13. I doubt if sprinklers are required in the residential portion of the building if your design is based on NFPA 13R.

Then How about fire extinguisher? I can not see the point of using it if the height of crawl space is low. But I have not found clear statement of "no need"

In Canada, all of the proviences adopt NFPA 13 and NFPA 13R. Read them. You must provide automatic sprinkler protection (not portable fire extinguishers) above the space on the 1st floor. It is a combustible space and the space of the 1st floor is residential.

You cannot get around the fire protection requirement unless the Canadian Building Code has some exception. I don't have a CBC.

If you are having problems applying the construction codes, seek professional design assistance from a licensed fire protection engineer.

Take a look in NFPA 10 for locations.

I can't recall a requirement to put portable fire extinguishers in an attic that is sprinkled, so my gut feeling is why would they be required in a 3 ft crawlspace that is sprinkled?

Take the "V" out of HVAC and you are left with a HAC(k) job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back