Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About Roark's book: stress and strain

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingnero

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2009
BE
Being European, I'd like to know whether it would be helpful getting me the "Roark's formulas for stress and strain" book.
Are the formulas in Metric or Imperial units?
No point in getting me a book full of inches, psi and lbs, as I do not come across these units when I work.

Anyone could confirm this?

Many thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have the 7th ed. It is advertised as being a mix of SI and "United States Customary Units":
From looking through it I see there seem many more USCU "examples" than SI examples, however all the formula's are presented in a standard engineering manner that is not unit-specific.

Re: PC's comment. FWIW I have lived my whole life in the US. I can/have worked most simple type problems in both systems. As the complexity of problem increases, I have found it is invariably easier to convert input quantities to SI (even though given in USCU), perform the entire calculation using SI units, and convert the output quantities back to USCU. By "easier", I mean fewer unit conversions requires, less thought and book-keeping required to tend to unit-related matters. Things like numerical differentiation and numerical integration flow naturally when SI units are used without extra consideration of factors related to units. My stuff usually doesn't include things involving empircal correlation relationships.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

I will also say the examples are a very small part of the book. I agree with PeterCharles from the standpoint that I personally wouldn't judge this book on the basis of the units used.

I might be persuaded and order me a copy, still not very convinced as graphs with psi in the y-axis doesn't tell me much... but indeed it's the principle that matters.

I happen to be working through some of the Pressure Vessel calculations in Roark's in a MathCad e-Book this morning, and I surely would hate to have to go back to solving this stuff with a slide rule (or even a calculator). Stress on a flat plate (which I recalled as two equations) is two pages.

David

For a limited set of calculations, one can easily imagine programming a calculator or entering the problem into Excel. But, after about 6 months or a year, someone comes in with requirements in a different unit system; then what? In most other cases, you wind up effectively recoding the equation, just to make sure you got all the conversions correct.

In Mathcad, that's completely unnecessary:
> The equations are in natural form, so they're completely readable as recognizable equations like those in the text
> In most cases, an entry requiring, say, psi, can simply be entered with Pa, and that's ALL you have to do.

Obviously, much of this requires that the equations be properly entered and dimensioned in the first place, but the effort is not that different than validating the equation as used in any other calculation approach. The difference is that if done correctly, you ought not need to do that ever again.

One option, to get your feet wet, is to buy a copy of Studyworks for about $10:
While it's quite outdated, ca. 2002, this stripped-down version of Mathcad is still quite useful for numerical calculations, and provides a human-readable input/output for archival and documentation purposes. Note that Studyworks does not include programming and some higher-order math functionality, and only a limited symbolic capability.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I have the 6th International Edition. Most of the formulae are not unit specific. The examples are a mix of both SI and Imperial units.

The preface even states "The sixth edition uses the International System of Units (SI) in presenting many of the example problems. Tabulated coefficients were in dimensionless form before and remain unchanged. Design formulas drawn from works published in the past remain in the system of units originally published or quoted."

Its a useful reference so you should get a copy.

i'll be contray ... if you don't want to convert units, then get a book with only SI units ... just be careful of Newtons and kgf.

Isn't that hilarious? The first time I saw a gauge marked in "kg/cm^2" I took a picture of it to show people when they start on the "Metric is Perfect" high horse.

I work with metric a lot. I work with US Traditional Units a lot. Jumping back and forth is pretty easy (especially since I started imbedding the required units within empirical equations in MathCAD--I love that I can input "mm" and then MathCAD divides it by "inches" to get a unitless number that is consistent with the constants).

I think that the important thing with units is that you have clear communication. If you do that then microFarads/fortnight is almost reasonable.

David

To zdas - I’m not sure the exact definition of “metric”, but I can guarantee cm is not part of the SI system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back