Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About Roark's book: stress and strain

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingnero

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2009
BE
Being European, I'd like to know whether it would be helpful getting me the "Roark's formulas for stress and strain" book.
Are the formulas in Metric or Imperial units?
No point in getting me a book full of inches, psi and lbs, as I do not come across these units when I work.

Anyone could confirm this?

Many thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not me. I didn't even mention SI. That is a race that I don't have a dog in. I'm just trying to communicate. If I need to talk in kPa to communicate in most of the world, I can do that. If I have to talk in kgf I usually take a pass because my giggle quotient gets out of control. If I'm in Canada I can talk volume units of E3m3 and pretend that everyone knows what the values for STP are. In Australia I can talk TJ and pretend that everyone knows the energy to volume conversion for the particular gases under discussion. I try to keep my giggling to myself when people say how easy their system is and how hard mine is.

I just want to communicate, don't care what is in SI and what isn't, don't care who uses what units that are excluded from the SI protocols, mostly just don't care.

David

EP,

You should read the BIPM brochure, specifically Chapter 3, "Decimal multiples and submultiples of SI units" Note also, Table 6 in Chapter 4.1, where non-SI units are defined in SI units, and cm is used as a "SI unit."

The "Bureau" is the final arbiter of all things SI, if they say cm is a part of SI, then it is.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I stand corrected. My point was m,k,s and the other 4 base units and units derived from the first 7 give a consistent set of units which make life easier. I don’t think anyone reading this needs a tutorial on units. Ironically the intention of my initial comments was to avoid a big unit discussion by attempting to paint a middle ground between original poster and another comment. In retrospect, a silly idea.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

EP,

No worries...

Like Dave, the tool I use is indifferent to unit systems.

The only downside, as it were, is that I forget what most of the conversion factors are.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back