Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Above Ground Blower Piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

castiglian

Civil/Environmental
Jan 7, 2003
US
Please advise on best materials where above ground blower piping is required
for an odor control system assume contact with direct sun light.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To make a proper recommendation, one would need to know the air flow rate, pressure, and temperature as well as the atmospheric conditions the system will be seeing.

PVC Schedule 80 worked just fine for me. But my systems were designed for 5 years or less. If yours is permanent, then go to galvanzed iron pipe or HDPE. Check the compatability of the pipe materials with the flow gases.

I have seen hundreds of plants, and stainless seems to be the material of choice due to damp conditions in waster water plants. Stay away from PVC or any plastics due to temperature rises produced by the blower (usually up to 250F on PD blowers). Assume that pressures will not exceed 15 P.S.I.(blower max).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but due to safety concerns, I believe that use of PVC for carrying compressed air above ground is not allowed within North America.

Nevada, your right. I am mistaken about the use of PVC on pressured system. It explodes like a grenade. There is a pressure rated PVC pipe that we used to use. It's no stronger than regular PVC, but it won't explode into pieces. I would agree that the best pipe to use is SS; bring your visa.

Some areas we use ike Sch 10 SS and other areas we will use un-lined DIP. If using DIP make sure it does not have a cement lining as is typically used in wastewater applications. The heat from the air can cause it to crack off and plug any diffusers you are using.

No need to use Schedule stainless steel at such low pressures. Spiral welded stainless steel from the sir conditioning industry is perfectly adequate and a whole lot more cost effective.

No one procrastinated their way to the top

how about using a GRP pipes for odor control system. i guess it would serve better in wide range of ambiant temp. it would serve great even for H2S and other toxic gassous enviornment.

my question linked to this thread is :

1. is the deodriser unit consists of prefilter, filter and a blower will serve the same for a small lift station what a odor control unit will serve.

2. is it required to have a forced airation system to the lift station for effective operation of odor control unit/ deodrizer unit.

GRP has been used successfully for this application. However be aware that there is a great range in quality of GRP in the market. There have been many failures from poorly designed, manufactured and installed GRP.

Suggest you apply an internationally recognised standard such as ISO 14692. Although this applies to offshore piping the fundamentals are the same. It is a very comprehensive document in four parts. The backyarders will not tender if this standard is applied.

If you want a cheap and cheerful system with heaps of problems down the track choose not to use it.

Be careful with DIP as we have experienced failures with the gasket materials in these applications. The manufacturers used to claim, and may still claim, that they can handle the higher temperature with a special material, but over time, they eventually fail.

However, I am assuming that you have a fan at a low pressure for an odor control system, and we see FRP or stainless steel used in this area.

stanier said:

"No need to use Schedule stainless steel at such low pressures. Spiral welded stainless steel from the sir conditioning industry is perfectly adequate and a whole lot more cost effective."

Could you possibly point out a manufacturer or reference for this? I Googl'd on it and couldn't find a thing. Thanks!

Thanks!
Pete

The Detroit Wastewater Plant used plane steel piping on its air system. The blower was rated at about 105,000 scfm at 7 psi. I am not aware of any problems with the piping, and it was used for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back