Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Above ground molten sulfur tank heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabrean

Mechanical
Sep 5, 2007
CA
Hi everyone,

Do you know some industry using external steam pad heating system on above ground molten sulfur storage tank ?

We are considering using such a heating system but we would like to know if such a technology is efficient enough for this application.

Our tank is 55 ft dia. 30 ft high and the temperature to maintain inside the tank is 290°F. Our lowest ambient temperature is -20°F.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could use a well insulated AG tank with a steam coil(s) in the bottom. Every nozzle and connection is a place where the sulfur could potentially freeze, so that is a big concern. Use multiple steam traced vents to ensure atmospheric pressure in the tank. Be alert to the possibility of steam coil leakage. Ensuring a good, hot pump may also be difficult and will take extra effort/thought.
Good luck,
Doug

Sabean....

Most of the AG tanks I have encountered have been horizontal tanks on saddles. Multiple steam heaters are inserted into the tank end.

This, of course limits the workable volume

Periodic cleanout of the tank should be a significant consideration. Perhaps additional manways may be required.

You may have luck with a centrifugal pump if you can keep things hot, However, consider the specification of a robust PD pump for transfer such as the Viking rotary pump line

I also found out a lot more about sulfur on this link..

-MJC

Sabrean
Know that one company TPA (part of CBI nowdays) recommended the use of external heating for some applications. see
Used such a solution for the sulphur recivever/degassing vessel out of the SRU's bit not for the receiveing tank (this one was equipped with regular steam coils if I remember this correctly).

I guess it all comes down to if you can provide the necessary heat transfer, i.e. that the tank is small enough.

RogerH

I would not recommend using external steam pad heating system for such a large above ground molten sulphur storage tank. Sulphur has a very low thermal conductivity so it will be very difficult to keep the centre of the tank at the required temperature.

My recommendation is to use heat coils inserted through the roof of the tank. If there is a leak in one of the bundles, it can be extracted from the tank without needing to drain the tank to effect repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back