Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

absolution 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

acobviously

Materials
Aug 8, 2008
CA
I am not big time. I am just an intern at a small manufacturing company. I feel like I have not lived up to my end of the bargain on this job due to my slackness. I know I am only making beans, but I haven't earned them this time. I am resolved to come clean with the owner and return a portion of my pay. Advice?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

controlnovice said:
Could you be clinically depressed

People I know have suggested it from time to time, it seems like an excuse to me.

PhilBW said:
...grow up...or...Get a menial job

Yes, I would like to grow up. This was me trying. Menial job? I wanted one, but was given a medical condition that would put me on the government dole at that wage. Do not want.

philipoakley said:
Who says you haven't done enough work

HgTX said:
If by "slacking" you mean you actively waste the company's time

I say I am not, because that is exactly what I mean.

To all: I feel like taking all of the money is stealing. I am already lazy, I don't want to add theif to my list while I am trying to overcome this.

Thanks TheTick. I think you have me some good perspective there.

If accounting is not set up to accept return pay and if returning a portion of it will make you feel better, I will give you my PayPal account and you can get that dirty money off of your hands.

Flores

"I say I am not, because that is exactly what I mean."

Huh????

Are you or are you not actively engaged in non-work activities while on the job? If you are, don't do it. If you can't control yourself, quit your job and go on the dole--someone with no self-control is too dangerous to have in engineering.

If you're NOT talking about actively engaging in non-work activities, but rather low productivity, stop wasting your time whining on this forum and ask your boss for some help in time management.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

It's called "sticking it to the man" and some people would take pride in such successful slacking.

Change comes from action, not words. And giving money back is never a good idea from an HR standpoint. Might as well try and fill out a salaried employee timesheet with less than 40 total hours on it. Easy to add over 40, impossible to complete with less.

Your company accepted an intern even though they didn't need an intern. If you are showing up to work, ready to work and learn, and they aren't reaching out to you... if they don't even care what you are doing... then just take your paycheck and leave.

Are they giving you work to do? Are you doing what they give you?

Let's say you were going to give the money back. How would the federal and state taxes be paid back to the company? I don't think they will be so eager to give it back. And also, the IRS will probably still account you for the pay your received anyway in April.

I was definitely a slacker when I did my first internship back in 1979 after my first year in college. This was my first foray into the 8 to 5 working would and it was rough being at work for those long stretches. The worst thing about it was that there was not really enough work to keep me engaged. The days dragged by so slowly. I found my self taking every possible vacation and sick day. When I did have something to do, it was great. Even a menial thing like filling out electrical tables on mylar drawings and leroying titles would make the day go by fast. Now, like most working engineers, I have more work than I know what to do with. Each day goes by way too fast. I do take all my vacation time,but never call in sick when I am not (the lying just feels undignified).
Being on eng-tips could be seen a slacking a little. But I need to slack sometimes. I just spent the morning pondering what to do about a construction problem and my brain hurts.
So acobviously - give yourself a break and study hard when you get back to school.

Go to confession or what ever your faith says to do - chalk it up to youthful play - and GET OVER IT

Do better next time

If it make you feel better do a few hours of charity work

For starters, depression is not an excuse. I don't like it when it is used as such, but it is a medical condition the same as a common cold, only the syptoms are not physical. I would consult a doctor (not an engineer) on this. If it is a problem, get it fixed, improve at work, help your career.

As for the money. Take it, learn from your mistakes and then don't look back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back