Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AC for swimming pool area

Status
Not open for further replies.

BronYrAur

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2005
US
Any suggestions before I go to look at a hotel that needs air conditioning in the pool/spa area? Apparently they have a dehumidification system that is working; they just don't have enough AC. Anyone run into this before? Should I add supplemental AC or put in a correctly sized dehumidification unit to also provide comfortable temperature? Have only replaced Dectron (or similar) units in the past and have never run into a shortage of AC. Any suggestions or things to look out for?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think things would be "interesting" if you tried to put a supplementary system in the same space. You really have no control over where the latent and sensible loads will go.

All indoor swimming pools that I have seen had exhaust ventilation fans and no AC's. I don't think that AC cooling coils, being AL in composition, will take to kindly to water vapor ladden with chlorine gas.

I've seen many swimming pools with cooling coils, typically included is a heresite or similar coating.

I have seen a pool without enough AC. They were using a heat recovery system that discharged all the condenser heat into the supply air stream as reheat. In the summer, when there were additional sensible loads, the pool room would over heat.

Solution was to exhaust a percentage of the condenser heat.

Would need to know more about the pool dehum unit to comment more.

Check the water temperature and controls while you are there, someone might have cranked up the water temp and overloaded the ac in that way.

Plan to put in Heresite coat coils or equal.

Remember that the A/C load is in tow parts, the sensible load and the latent load. The A/C will dehumidify.

Ken

Ken
KE5DFR

The problem is that the pool area has a large glass load. It's a "stub out" of a hotel with parking garage underneath. Photo attached. The Dectron dehumidification unit appears to be adequate, but the room temperature gets upwards of 90 deg on a hot day. Unfortunately, I don't have the ductwork to support more CFM, so I can't put in a larger Dectron unit. Increasing the duct size would be major construction as everything is drywall.

I had Dectron confirm sizing based on pool and spa dimensions and it is correctly sized for the latent load. It's old so I'm going to suggest replacement, but that still leaves me with the sensible heat problem. The only thing I can think of would be to add a downstream DX coil on the Dectron unit to introduce as much additional cooling as possible. But would it be a good idea to dump 50 or 55 deg air into a pool room? I don't want cold drafts either. Any thoughts??

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=897c8188-46d2-4db7-a238-9057eaf16e60&file=IMG00284-20110119-1329.jpg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back