Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AC power tabs and receptacles - pcb mounted

Status
Not open for further replies.

utimgr

Electrical
Jun 19, 2006
US
Hopefully this is the correct forum to post this in.

Best way to describe what I am looking for is think about the timers you plug into the wall outlet, and then you plug a lamp into it. I am looking for the tabs that can be PCB mounted for both plugging into the outlet as well as plugging something into it. There are alot of devices that do this so I am hoping that someone has these availble. I've talked to a friend who was in the home automation market for a time and said they made the ones they used (ie..custom.

I have been googlin but havent come up with anything except doing a custom design (rather stay away especially since this is for a prototype unit).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm afraid that those type items are always custom because their performance is usually closely allied with the packaging which is generally used to control and constrain the plug prongs and to back the brass contacts.

If you look at those torn-apart wall timers you will see the plastic surrounding and backing up the contacts.

For a prototype I would hack and reverse engineer as many timers as you need. You also will want your molding to be the same as the timers around the plugs. You should be getting your prototype contacts out of the timers. So what if they cost $12 apiece! That's really cheap for what you are acquiring.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

When it comes to making production contacts go to metal formers. There are a lot of companies that make small bent metal items like RF enclosures for radio circuits.

There is also Keystone a large maker of contacts and springs. Present them one of your timer contacts and go from there.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Thats what I was afraid of....doing a custom. I suppose for production runs of 100's thats ok, just the unexpected NRE for my client.

I've got a bunch of X10 modules, guess I can tear into those.

When you tear into the X10 modules, note the little fine-gauge jumper wire on the PCB being used as a fuse on the AC circuit (typical on every X10 module I've taken apart).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back