Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ACAD 2008 has trouble with later graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankreid

Mechanical
Mar 9, 2007
US
I use Autocad 2008 for all my needs, even 3D solids modeling work. My computer is an HP Compaq dc6700 convertible desktop. While working on a large 3D model the rotation and other graphics was getting too slow so I decided to buy a new graphics/video card. It is an AMD hd 6670 Series Graphics Accelerator card with 2GB of its own RAM.
It really is an improvement over the older Asus card in most cases, but when I loaded Autocad I got a message that listed the graphics card it found and said that it is not certified. No surprise, as the 2008 software couldn't know about a later piece of hardware.
When I tried to load the large 3D model it took a VERY long time and then it wouldn't rotate at all. It tried for several minutes then just halted. I went to the Autodesk site for the certified graphics card and, of course, this one wasn't there. My question is this: How can I make this work better and faster with the newer card. I can switch it back to the older card but I prefer not to and I really don't want to buy another card.
What do you suggest?

Frank Reid
Reid Engineering Services of Utah

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I forgot to mention that the computer is running Windows 7, 32 bit, with 4MB of RAM.

Frank Reid

2008 was a really good release. When I tried to install CadWorx 2012 on top of AutoCAD 2008 I was told in no uncertain terms that versions that old are not supported for anything and they wouldn't even tell me how to uninstall it. AutoCAD 2008 simply does not exist to AutoDesk anymore. I ran that rabbit for several weeks before I simply gave up and bought 2012. I mostly hate the differences and was really happy without the ribbon. After a year, I would still prefer the old user interface, but I'm at least finally getting productive.

If AutoCAD can't find its own drivers for your card then it drops back to its own generic drivers that bypass your card. Really nothing you can do about it. You can get a card that 2008 recognizes or get 2014. You won't get any support on 2008 from the company and if you go to the AutoDesk forums you are going to get attitude.

Others here will tell you this is a good time for you to run screaming from AutoCAD, and I really can't disagree with their reasoning. I didn't follow that advice because of an add-on that I couldn't live without. I've often wondered if I could have found similar functionality elsewhere, but just didn't want to pay the learning curve for piping layouts and P&ID in other software.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

Agree with David.

I assume you meant that you have 4 GB not MB RAM. In your situation, I might research what was the most killer graphics card that was compatible with AutoCAD 2008. Then find it on eBay or Amazon. Just to make it complete, I'd upgrade my RAM to 8 GB at least. I have a similar HP machine that we used to use for simulations until we could afford a much faster one. Back then, lots of different programs would eat up the 4 GB and put the thing into disk-swapping mode. We got 16 GB and all that went away.

Right now, AutoCAD is using your main processor and RAM for its graphics work since it does not approve of your card. You may find that it is getting into the virtual memory page file as a result, which REALLY slows stuff down.

Best of luck!

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the replies. My version of Windows 7 is 32 bit and it only can see 4GB of RAM. I would have to reinstall a Windows 64bit to add more RAM.

The old Asus graphics card carried no on-board RAM so used the main memory and was fine for everything except these large Autocad 3D models. For all the smaller 2D files it worked great. I was trying to make it a little faster for these two files but I can go back to the old card.

This AMD Radeon card has 2GB on-board and doesn't access the main RAM that I know of but it is really a gaming card. With these autocad files it crashes over and over. I don't do this customer's work often and I don't want to do a major upgrade (read spend money) for this one job. I'll probably just return to the older card and suffer through.
Thanks again.

Frank Reid

I hate it for ya, frankreid. There are some killer gaming machines out there for very little money, but the hardware is new and not supported by the old AutoCAD.

We bought gaming machines last year. They're not $8000+ workstations, but for $1500 each they are jim-dandy.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

One of your problems is your 32-bit system. Always run a 64-bit system if you have the option.

Not only does the RAM count toward the 4GB memory limit, but the video memory also counts against the limit. So some of your memory will be unavailable for windows to use. Your gaming card should work for CAD (although not as well as workstation cards). But you will need a 64-bit system to make full use of it.

There is a better explanation of what else counts toward that limit here:

Nate the Great

I found the right card and bought it on Amazon. It's an Invidia Quatro and is now doing what I wanted.
Thanks for your comments.

Frank Reid

Glad you got there, frankreid.

Thank you so much for following up to let us know what happened. I wish everyone would do that!

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back