ACAD Can't Find my Acad.lin file!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRiMCO

Civil/Environmental
Jan 9, 2007
US
Intel XP3 ACAD 2009

We spent a bit of time creating complex linetypes to suit our needs in the public works engineering field. They work great, but ACAD can't find them in our Support folder on the local area network that we all share. Acad is apparently finding Acad.lin in one of the ACAD setup and programs folders on the C: drive.
The networked Support folder is high up in the Config list of search files, (Above the Support file on the C: drive), but is still not giving up the Acad.lin.

Thanks for any help . . . Rocky

Cheers . . .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

use search and replace - search for the acad.lin file (on your c drive), rename it and then replace with your own revised version

A way to find the path to the file AutoCAD is using is with the lisp expression (so include the parentheses)on the command line:
(findfile "acad.lin")

I still use ACAD 2004 and my ACAD.lin file is in a subdirectory of Document and Setting. I found the location by opening one of the ACAD drawing, then loading for additional linetypes under the linetype manager dialog box>load>file> and the support window to view the structure of the subdirectories, the last of which was linetype file.

Thanks for all the help! AutoCAD now knows which of 3 acad.lin files to use, and it is the one we customized.
The problem before was that I knew I had at least 3 acad.lin files in various places, and could not tell which one AutoCAD was using. I ended up altering the search files path in config so AutoCAD would not find the "wrong" acad.lin files. Took a little trial and error, but it worked out in the end.

Thanks CarlB for the filefind ALISP routine - it helped out a lot!

Cheers . . . Rocky

Cheers . . .

Chicopee . . .

For quite a while, we have been trying to use an acad.lin file on our network, where all CADders can use a common file. This is the customized one . . . the other acad.lin files (in Program Files, and in Documents & Settings) were the generic, unmodified ones.

The problem was, we could not get AutoCAD to point to the acad.lin file on our network. We had no idea WHICH acad.lin it DID point to . . .

The customized acad.lin file resides in a "pre-Support" folder of our creation, on our local area network, that also has other stuff for 3rd-party programs, and so forth. The idea was that all CADders would be using the same customized files. Sort of a CAD standards sort of thing.

"Pre-Support" and its path are in ACAD's Search File Path at the top of the search list, and the erroneous path to C:\Documents & Settings . . . was removed from the Search Path. Walla! All is well.

See ya . . . Rocky

Cheers . . .

CRiMCO I see you've solve your problem, BUT if your drawing template contained all of the linetypes that you've created, you would not need AutoCAD to look for the definition file - they are contained in your drawing/template file,

One quirk that I noticed with AutoCAD 2009, when you try to load linetypes (as I often do with other peoples' drawings), after entering the Linetype Manager clicking on Load brings up another dialog box. Even though I have mapped the folder containing my linetype file, the initial file displayed is ACAD.lin. Clicking on File... brings me right to the folder containing my linetype file.

Ralph
Structures Consulting
Northeast USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back