Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

academia - associate vs assistant vs emeritus

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjgoebel

Electrical
Jun 10, 2005
US
The academia totem pole seems like it involves a lot of politicking and un-even-handed methods for getting on top. That's one of the many reasons that I don't want to get involved with the field. But looking through my school I just recently graduated from, I see that there are a number of different teaching positions that can be obtained. What's the difference? And why does it seem like all of my favorite teachers are happy-go-lucky and on the bottom of the totem pole?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The academia totem pole seems like it involves a lot of politiking and un-even-handed methods for getting on top

What about outside, do you realy think it is different?

Your favorite teachers are on the bottom of the totem pole in your perception. There is a thing called job satisfaction that take the best skills to surface. Probably your teachers suffer from that.

"Happy-go-lucky"? Maybe your favorite teachers haven't familiarized themselves with their job description: publishing, more publishing, teaching and service. They would be lucky to secure tenure after 6 or 7 years, thus allowing them to move from "Assistant" to "Associate".

You bring up a good point there is a lot of politics in the academic world, if you want to reach the top of the t.p. (beware of insensitive terms).
I would stick to industry where everything is fair and square!

Sorry, I could not resist that bit of sarcasm. ;-)

You will find that method of advancement the norm. There are well deserving capable people at the top of various organizations. If you do not want to be caught-up in that lifestyle you need to base your decisions/recommendations on technical merit. A good technical manager will see the pros and cons of your decisions, and be able to incorporate those into an overall decision. A short-sided non-technical manager may not agree with you, but will not last long.

When I was teaching full time, I intended to jump on the tenure track. What I found out was that I was expected to publish, recruit, research, brown nose, meet with donors, pass those donors snotty nose children on a 1.5 GPA, and even then, tenure was not guaranteed unless you met the "party line".

Even in the university setting, you can be on the top of your academic field, but if you do not fit in, you may never make tenure. One senior lecturer I know (dual phD, well published, but a real pain in the rear) never made tenure even after being at a world recognized university for more than 20 years. Students didnt like him, he did not like sharing any research data with his peers, had students do his writing but not give any credit on the publication, and so on.
No wonder.
Franz

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back