Accelerating and Decelerating a Panel on a Conveyor System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turn_of_the_Screw

Mechanical
Dec 4, 2020
US
Hello Everyone,

We are currently trying to design a conveyor that will take a panel (180" x 72" x 1" and 800 lbs) from a constantly slow-moving conveyor (10 feet/minute) to a constantly fast-moving conveyor (300 fpm).

- The only way I can think to do this is by putting a secondary conveyor (as long as the panel) in between the slow and fast conveyor.
- This conveyor will need to run at a slower speed until the panel is on it completely.
- Then the conveyor will need to accelerate the panel to a faster speed.
- The length of this conveyor would be determined by the length it takes to accelerate the panel to a higher speed (presumably the size of the motor would determine this)
- After traveling at a faster speed, the panel would need to slow down again and eventually stop. I have no idea how we would slow this down other than letting it run out on a gravity conveyor.

Does anyone have experience designing systems that accelerate and decelerate products like this? The biggest problem I have is getting a motor, drive, and roller combination that will do both 10fpm and 300fpm.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Gantry with suction to lift and accelerate?
Use a plain roller and a chain rammer to give a shove?
Gravity drop on a plain roller section? Maybe have tilt bridges if the panel needs to remain fully supported.

can the two conveyors overlapp ? the slow one above the fast one ... panels travel off the slow one, pitch over onto the fast one, and get pulled off the slow one. I'd have sidewalls guiding the panel during the transfer.

how fragile are these panels ?

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Good ideas! Here are some more details:

- Panels are High Strength Concrete so dropping probably is not going to work.
- Panels travel in a line, with plenty of room in-between.
- The panels weigh up to 800 lbs.
- During the fast portion, the entire top side of the panel will need to be exposed for a spraying operation.

Chris

Are these belt conveyors? A rubber-lagged, powered speed-up roll between the two conveyors would probably get you in business. You could probably use a parasitic drive for the roller off of the tail pulley on the faster conveyor. If they are belt conveyors, you would need the right belt selection, because the panel definitely slides on the belt surface.

But, a question that I ask myself is whether the spraying equipment could move at high speed while the panel continues on at its slow pace. It seems like less wear-and-tear on the conveyors.

dvd I think you hit the nail on the head. We hadn't considered moving the spraying equipment. This is likely much easier and safer.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Chris

So you need to move faster for the spraying operation?
How that conclusion is reached from your description is quite amazing. Well done DVD to see that.

If the spray operation is determining the speed, then why not slow down your spray flow rate with a good spray system and not have to move anything at high speed. This seems less expensive alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back