Acceptable oil temperature for journal bearing lubrication 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeprom

Electrical
May 16, 2007
US
Hello,
I am working with an old GE generator/turbine with babbitted journal bearings. I am looking for information which will help me to determine how to set my temperature alarms for the bearing RTDs. I have found little information on the web. I was hoping that someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BTW GE Bently publishes lots of stuff on condition monitoring right on their web site....

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" Oddball, "Kelly's Heros" 1970

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Okay, let me re-phrase. I need to set the temperature (and vibration) alarms on the bearings, not the oil. There is an oil temp monitor and trip circuit, and those settings are clearly defined in the GE manual. I have the original GE manual and it has no information regarding the alarm and/or trip temperature (or vibration limits) of the bearings. There is information stating that the bearing oil temp should not exceed 180F. I believe that the bearings will most likely run much hotter than the oil.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back