Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acceptable Referances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymmeh

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2007
US
Is it acceptable practice to use clients of my company, ie. Project managers, which I have designed products for them, as references when applying for a new job?

They know my work habits and performance first hand, and I don’t want to give out my bosses name… for obvious reasons.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't see any issue at all. You can put down your parents, if you wanted; they just wouldn't pass the credibility test.

The current practice is to simply state that "References available on request." I've not seen a single resume with the actual references listed.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I don't see a problem with it in most cases, so long as you've asked them first and they've agreed.

I actually did this when I moved to the states. I got several guys I'd worked with from US companies to agree to be references for me.

Agree on the ref available on request, although of course some standard application forms ask for them up front.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Yes, I would tell them. The only thing I am worried about is that they would know I am planing on leaving my company.

It is not obvious since a call to previous employer is standard practice, listing name and phone number of previous supervisor is time saving for reference checker.

Its always good advice to ask permission of folks when you select them as references. This way if/when they are contacted they are prepared to discuss your abilities. So yes, they should know that you are looking to leave.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

If you name a referee but did not ask their permission first, you can place them in an awkward position of discussing your performance with some third party they don;t know and they also don't know if that person has your permission to be asking for references.
In theory, all aspects of references are consensual; the referee needs to agree to give a reference, the prospective employer needs your consent to approach referees and they should not be seeking references from persons not named.
Of course, that is all theory.
What you can control you should control.

JMW

What do you do when the place you used to work went out of business? Actually, the last 3 places I've worked either relocated or closed - how do you tell a prospective employer that you can't reach anyone from the last job?

Exactly as you just stated, "I don't have prior work references, the company went out of business and I have no personal contact information for previous supervisors/co-workers."

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

My company has started using a new service; a third-party outfit that sends a survey via email to your references. The reference can't tell where you are applying. It's really not even clear (but can be inferred) that you are applying for a job. I'm real ambivalent on the use of this service, which is pretty limited to questions on your character and general competency. Clearly your references would need to know the survey will be coming, or they would assume it's spam. I believe it is used only for an initial screening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back