Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Accepting a job and then backing out of it before starting? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerDave

Bioengineer
Aug 22, 2002
US
What do you think of the following situation?

1) I accepted a job a few weeks ago at a very prestigious place but it will involve a move and the money isn't as great especially and the cost of living is high.

2) Another job may become available to me. This group asked me if I would be willing to consider them instead of the offer I previously received. I know what this group is like and there are some negatives in the environment that led to the job being available, but it is also conveniently in my hometown where I live currently.

My initial thought is that I've given my word and accepted an offer at the other place. I am not inclined to back out because I believe someones word is important

HOWEVER
1) Financially I would be better off if I backed out of it
2) But if I did back out, it could give me a bad name in the community of this specialty which is pretty small.

WHAT I AM INCLINED TO DO
1) Take the job offer I accepted. Work there for a little while to get the name and experience
2) Sometime 1 or two years down the road, return to the other company for an offer. I have a feeling they will have openings again!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In days past, I'd finish the contract, and tell the other guys they'll have to wait.

Nowadays, if I hadn't signed an actual contract, ...

... I'd still do the same thing, but I doubt that anyone else would.

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
DeAngelo Marine Exhaust Inc.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Contract means temporary. Do you have benefits such as group medical, disability, vacation, life insurance, 401k, stock options, etc.? Do what you want to do. You do not need our permission.

As an employer I can lay off a contract engineer with zero notice and no reason. I cannot do the same with a direct employee. Direct is better in regard to these aspects.

Besides it is all about the money and your future career. Contract is not a career.

John

jsummerfield

Apparently you do not work in a state or country where employment is "at will". In my state, the employer can let you go at any time or the employee may decide to leave at any time. Notice is not required. maddru, I would check the contract terms in regards to leaving or early termination before making a decision on the second position. Hopefully there is a procedure that you can follow.

Regards

I am also thinking about backing out of an offer and need advice. I recently accepted a job with a company that has a bad reputation in its treatment of employees. The board of directors recently hired new leadership to remedy the problem, but the founder (who I believe is at the root of the problem) is still the chairman of the board and still has a lot of control. The benefits are lousy but the salary is pretty decent. The work environment is very flexible and exciting though. The company I currently work for is relocating in the summer and offered me a HUGE retention package to stay until then at which point I would be out of work. I also received an offer from a third company that I have already rejected. The 3rd company had way better benefits and a slightly higher salary, but the work and environment were less flexible and less exciting. My current line of thinking is to negotiate a July start date with the 3rd company (because I believe they would still hire me and let me set a start date in July) and back out of the job with the first company. The problem is that I really liked the hiring manager of the first company and would hate to burn a bridge with him. My gut instinct is to be honest with the hiring manager and tell him I'm getting cold feet because of his company's past reputation (which he is very aware of) and that I cannot pass up the opportunity to collect the retention bonus that my current company is offering. As a modestly paid engineer with a child starting college in 18 months, I hate to pass up an opportunity to make some serious money in a short amount of time. These opportunities don't come around too often. Any advice would be appreciated.

The retention package may not be such a great deal if the economy is down when you finally leave.

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
DeAngelo Marine Exhaust Inc.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back