Access control for Step Ladders 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vluys

Mining
Sep 15, 2023
ZA
Good day
I have been given a project to implement an access control system for artisans using step ladders with wheels.
Now my question is how will I go to work in having the ladders inspected, issued to specific individuals, what controls can I put in place to ensure I can keep track of who is using what ladder even when I am not at work?

Any suggestions or ideas will be much appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

3DDave said:
Have only one ladder and handcuff yourself to it.
Flawless design.

Put some sort of locking pin in the track so it can't be moved.
Put a hook at the end of the track, chain it up and you have the only key.
Tell other employees that you are the only one to use it and there will be repercussions if anyone else is caught using it.

This seems more administrative than engineering.

A lock & key system would seem to be the easiest and cheapest solution, and if there's more than one ladder, then use unique lock & key combinations for each ladder with only you having the keys. That way you can control which key/ladder is 'checked-out' to which individual.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

John's idea is on likely the best, treat it a bit like 'lockout' rules.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Just because a ladder is checked out to an individual does not mean that it is inaccessible to others. Nobody should have to be a police officer for unauthorized usage. This seems like an instance where a training course is required for all persons who are in the area - include inspection in the training.

For fixed ladders, they make locking gates that cover the treads to prevent unauthorized access. I've never seen this done on a stepladder/ rolling ladder, but no reason it couldn't be done. The open gate may present as much hazard as it avoids.

I am confused .... Ladder inspetion ? .... Who offers these wheeled ladders for sale ??

Ladder inspection is typically outlined in established OSHA rules ...

Can you post a picture of the "wheeled ladders" of concern ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

With access-control I find the first critical question/criteria to be - Who are you trying to prevent from accessing the ladders, and where? Trying to prevent the public from accessing ladders in a city park is vastly different than preventing access in a commercial storefront, as-is preventing access from certain employees inside of a factory setting. The first may require placing the ladder inside of a locked building. The last could be accomplished simply with a sign stating "unauthorized use subject to discipline or termination."

I just assumed this was like the ladders they use at the big-box stores, google image search for "rolling ladder" pulls up a ton of those.

IMG-20230916-WA0012_jqj4bx.jpg

Thanks for the replies
Yes its more administrative but still in a engineering environment.
My idea was to keep all of them in a designated area, lock the area and the individual ladders, issue the keys to individuals and record the info.
The idea is to know who is using the ladder and who used it, to control and identify who is damaging the ladders and keep them accountable.

I don't want it to be a lengthy process to get and bri g back the ladder as we are working production and time is valuable.

Vluys,

You have two choices. Your security guard asks people why they have ladders, or you supply ladders to authorized people. Either way, your security guard is trained and authorized to make decisions. Those ladders in your photo do not look like anything I would keep in the trunk of my Honda Fit.

--
JHG

It seems as though the ladders are getting damaged because there is some sort of equipment missing. Have you asked what needs to be provided to prevent the ladders from being misused?

Sadly we don't have a security gaurd overseeing the ladders or anything. Yes the laddera are in a terrible condition, thus we want to implement control, because they are very expensive, Biggest ladder approx R350000.
If you say there needs extra equipment to prevent damages, what do you mean?
All I know is that these ladders are very heavy and do not move easily? Also wanted to look into bigger wheels to make moving easier?

JMO but it appears that you have a problem with respect caused by poor maintenance, not access. The ladders in the pic dont appear to have seen fresh paint in years. If management doesnt care that equipment looks like rusty garbage then I wouldn't expect employees to treat it otherwise. Painting is like sweeping, anybody with time to lean/bs has time to push a brush or broom. Give staff a steady supply of paint and cleaning products, encourage them to improve their areas during slow/down time, give them a pat on the back when they do, and you'd be surprised how pride keeps your facilities nice and equipment functional.

JMO but I'd buy paint, not locks.

You could pursue the typical Safety Program Administration approach explained in OSHA documents. Perhaps your designated Safety Person at the plant has done this already.
[ul]
[li]Identify the hazard, possible causes, consequences, and possible solutions using a rigorous Job Hazard Analysis[/li]
[li]Implement methods to mitigate the hazard to protect workers using the Hierarchy of Safety Controls:[/li]
[li]Elimination (get rid of the hazard completely if feasible)[/li]
[li]Substitution (use something else that is less hazardous)[/li]
[li]Engineering Controls (purpose-designed and built mitigations...typically guards and shields)[/li]
[li]Administrative Controls (training, certification, standard op instructions, work instructions)[/li]
[li]Personal Protective Equipment PPE (last resort solution to mitigate any hazard)[/li]​
[li]Deploy & Implement new policy[/li]
[li]Enforcement[/li]
[/ul]

I once had a similar situation. We did not want to restrict the workers from using ladders to get their jobs done with unnecessary irritations or complications. But we wanted safe behavior to address previous injuries. We got it by Administrative Controls: training and SOPs. And we had the luxury of engaged management at the company, so there was very active Managerial Enforcement of SOPs and Policy.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Manufacturing Engineering Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back