Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Accounting for Rework in Production Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBCSCI

Aerospace
Jul 24, 2019
US
I have a very small volume, high complexity, long cycle time product. A typical build takes roughly 6 months. There are test points in the build process with low yields and long rework cycles. I'm trying to account for those failures/reworks in my production plan. Here is my current approach:

Test Point 1 - 50% yield with a 14 week rework cycle
Test Point 2 - 80% yield with a 20 week rework cycle

My approach is to incorporate an extra 7 weeks of cycle time (.5 x 14) following Test Point 1 and 4 weeks of cycle time (.2 x 20) following Test Point 2 into the standard cycle time for each unit. I expect that I will end up with some units ahead and some behind, but the aggregate should stay close to nominal.

My alternate approach might be to build back-up units in parallel, which could be used as line fill for failures, but my unit cost is $200K each. That seems cost prohibitive.

I'm looking for ideas on how to maintain a stable production schedule that won't have my customer panicking every couple weeks.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No. The contract is only for a specific number of units. There's no potential to sell extras on this contract. There is a possibility of pushing partials/extras to a follow-on contract if one is awarded, but they may not meet the revision/pedigree requirements for the next contract. There are often changes to the Technical Data Package (TDP) from contract to contract.

Agreed. Just checking to see if I might be missing an option. I'm constrained on Period of Performance and trained resources so it's a real challenge to fit into the box on this one. Worst case cycle times put me outside my PoP and I have limited opportunities for schedule improvement without additional heads for parallel builds. I guess that's the manufacturing business.

I'm left wondering if you can't put more test points in place to check earlier. I mean waiting that long to find 50% of you units need weeks and weeks of rework seems like there's an opportunity to identify significant non-conformance much earlier in the process?

Sounds to me like you need more in-process quality checks as your rework time is ridiculously high. Force the work to slow down and be done correctly the first time.

Sorry, but your yield is atrocious. Just for the sake of argument, let's say the variable cost is $50K, which is then roughly $2k/week of fab. That means your 14-week rework is throwing away $28k and your 20-week rework costs $40k. Since your yield for the former is 50% and the latter is 80%, you're essentially adding $22k/unit of additional cost to each unit shipped, not counting the material costs. That could be the difference between a nice profit and a barely break-even profit; if you make only 50 units, that's almost $1.1 million of lost profit.

Shouldn't you be trying to figure out why the yield is so miserable? Spending, say, $100k to fix problems that could recoup $1 million; isn't that better than planning and scheduling for failures?

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back