Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accoustic Computer Modelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoogans

Electrical
Jan 24, 2005
I'm interested in writing some software to simulate the sound of drums (yes I'm a drummer). However being an electrical engineer I'm a bit lost as to where to start in terms of the maths used, once I know that I should be able to find my way.

I'm looking at simulating the drum based on material properties of the shell, skin and hardware as well as the usual tension and dimensions of the drum.

So my question is, what sought of mathematical techniques, analytical or numerical do you recommend I look at?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That would be a pretty complex model.

You'd need to understand structural dynamic FEA, membrane effects, and fluid to structure interactions, and the acoustic FEM or BEM.

You might find that an empirical approach is less frustrating, it will certainly be less expensive.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Well for starters, I'm doing this as a bit of a hobby, I've been bored lately and my job doesn't really exercise my mathimatical, computer programming or problem solving abilities. Plus I despise the sound of current electronic drums, maybe I can improve them. Right now I'm just trying to work what would be involved with doing this, before going out a getting some software, I'm thinking Visual C#.

What exactly do you mean by emirical, I have idea but I want to clarify?

And the acronyms are a mystery to me also

Thanks

Andrew

Thanks for the responses, I had pretty much assumed I would be using some sort of finite element analysis (bit slow with the acronyms). I'll have to read the article better when I'm at home.

I think I will start by modelling just the skin and sort of build on that. I really want this to be a very comprehensive model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back