Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accuracy and SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiemannironworks

Mechanical
Nov 19, 2004
US
I am struggling with accuracy issues and SE V19. I draw a line to given distance at a specified angle and the angle is not correct as drawn. This is killing me when the assemblies refuse to constrain. The line was drawn at 7.103 inches long at the angle 90 degrees. When checked the line is actually 7.103 inches long at angle 89.9982 degrees. If I try to correct the angle, SE continues to make the line at the incorrect angle. This has apprently been goign on for some time as I regualrly have trouble constraining parts that have miters on them.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

On the line, do you have a constraining angular dimension of 90°or have you placed a perpendicular constraint on the line relative to an edge or surface? You might want to give that a try and see if that corrects the problem. Are you making a cut into a part or is this part of the profile of the part? I'm just curious to see if I can replicate the issue. I seem to remember a problem a while back that releated to using revolved features where someone typed in 360° and got a number slightly less than 360° verus using the button that creates a 360° revolved feature (protrusion or cutout).

Kyle

This is a simple line drawn from the center of the sketch plane out at a given distance and at the angle, but the angle continues to be drawn at an angle that I did not specify.

If I understand correctly, try putting in an angular or perpendicular constraint to see if that fixes things as kjoiner suggests.

Depending what 'intelisketch' functions you have active it may not have assumed horizontal/vertical or whatever is relevant.

Are you just typing in distance and angle while creating the line?

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Is SE placing a horizontal/vertical constraint on the line when it is drawn? Just curious. What version and update are you running?

Kyle

Delete all constraints and dimensions from the line, then add a horizontal constraint and a length dimension. Then re-constrain the end to the ref plane.
If the end of the line is on the mid-point you should have a square to indicate keypoint connected. If you have a cross then this indicates 'point on' - not necessarily the centre/end.
Personally I don't start drawing my profiles from the ref planes. I find it better to constrain to the planes right at the end, for final positioning.

bc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back