Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accuracy Claim on test instrument

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyledunn

Electrical
Dec 20, 2001
GB
I have a new digital ohmmeter that claims an accuracy of 2%+-2digits on the 20ohm scale (19.9). The resolution is 0.01ohms.
Does this mean that a reading of say 0.4ohms could be 0.18 or 0.62 resulting in a deviation from the measurand of circa 55%?

Regards,

Lyledunn

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say it could range from 0.4*1.02=0.41 + 2 digits = 0.43 on the top end to 0.4*.98=.39 - two digits = 0.37. So 0.4 ohms could show up on the meter as anything from 0.37 to 0.43.

Well, if it was 2% of full scale, a resistance of 0.4 ohms could read anywhere from 0 to 0.82 ohms. I would hope that it would be 2% of reading, but who knows?

Yes, thanks David, as pointed out by IRstuff there is ambiguity in the claim. My little knowledge of error theory recalled that accuracy is referenced to f.s.d. However, I read an article in a trade mag that alluded to the almost proposterous margin of error in some instruments designed for field work. I have of course asked company to clarify.

Regards,

Lyledunn

Just as a general comment, 0.4 ohm should NOT be attempted on a standard ohmmeter. The probe contact resistance is a sizable portion of 0.4 ohm. You should and must use a micro-ohm meter or a Kelvin connection for measurements that low.

TTFN

True, if you've got a zero function ;-). And, if you remember to set it back to zero every time you use it. None of my DMMs have that particular feature.

TTFN

You should get a meter made this century. You know... the kind without a needle.

[laughtears]

Actually I have to teach my daughter about magnetic fields verses current and wish I had a needle based meter Now....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back