Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

accuracy in solidwork

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you better explain what you mean?

SW does not use the same "tolerance" concept that some other programs use.

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

Thanks for the reply.

I'm having problems exporting solidwork model into Pro/E ( surfaces didn't connected, surfaces weren't tangent to each other, edges of surfaces looked faceted not smooth, ....)

In Pro/E, users can increase the part's accuracy so that they get higher quality exported files (in iges, step,...etc), meaning the gaps between merging surfaces are smaller.

lee

I tried almost every single file formats available in SW. so far, the best result (not perfect) is

1. export w_t format from SW
2. reimport it back to SW
3. export it again in STEP from SW
4. import STEP file into Pro/E

lee

When I was using Pro/E, it had problems importing STEP. The classic was inverting spherical surfaces (imagine your corner fillets turning into round bulges).

You might try IGES, it tends to work better with Pro/E. Alsot try ACIS (*.sat). There are some export options that allow you to specify "high trim curve accuracy", as well.

On the Pro/E end, try changing from relative to absolute accuracy. Also, Pro/E does have some repair tools available.

[bat]I could be the world's greatest underachiever, if I could just learn to apply myself.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

Tick is correct. I have exported IGES to vendors and customers before that use Pro-E. I have not heard of any problems.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP3.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)

FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Read this article and you will have a better understanding of interoperability between MCAD programs.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 3.1 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea" Bernard-Paul Heroux

njlee,

Are you exporting orthogonal parts, or spline based curves. Is it possible that Pro/E interprets splines differently from SolidWorks?

JHG

Maybe, I'm missing something , somewhere, but did anyone try the Save As/Pro-E option? We have moved models over to Pro/E from SW without translation problems many times, though I don't about the complexity of your particular model.

Regards,

Christopher Zona - Senior CAD Designer
Litens Automotive Partnership
Concord, Ontario, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back