Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accuracy of flush mounted Inductive Barrel Sensors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy

Mechanical
Jun 5, 2001
DE
I have an application where I have to detect a pneumatic guide cylinder at a pt on it’s travel. I also want to detect the location of 2mm after the first pt. As there may be the possibility of over-run of these two pts by about 10mm, I may side or flush mount the two sensors.

My question is,

How accurate, repeatable are inductive type barrel sensors when flush mounted as opposed to axial mounted ( or direct acting).?
Are they more accurate when axially mounted?

Can’t seem to find any data on accuracy from the manufacturers website.

Any comments welcome.

Speedy
[bomb] [bomb]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Speedy

Not sure if you have already stated this idea using different termonolgy, apologies if you have. Have you thought about using a "magnetic cylinder sensor" this maybe another ooption rather than using a standard barrel senors?

Regards
Taggy

Have you looked on Balluff's website? They have a vast range of sensors, one of which will probably do the job. Their catalogue lists specs etc. I haven't used their products for pneumatic applications, but have been very pleased with the Micropulse sensors we installed in hydraulic servo equipment.

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back