ACI 318-05 versus 318-02

Status
Not open for further replies.

buening

Structural
Jul 12, 2006
US
Hey all,
Are there major changes between the two ACI 318-05 and 02? I will be taking my SE I and II exam this fall and they require the 05 code. I have the 02 code, and they just released the 08 code. Buying the outdated 05 code at full price just for the test is not something I'm fond of. I've looked all over Amazon and Ebay for used 05 codes, and all are basically new prices. Is anyone familiar enough with the two codes to tell me what the major changes are? No one locally has the 05 code, they are either using the new 08 or are still stuck in the 90's with the old codes. Now if someone has one for sale cheap......

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

why would you spend money to take the exam, study for months and spend 8 hours taking a test and not have the proper reference material? buy the book and sell it back to some other sucker later on eBay. ask your boss to pay for it.

I'm trying to be realistic here. We are a transportation firm, therefore I'm a bridge designer. We don't use many of the building codes, and we've already dumped a small fortune in current building codes in order to take this exam. Below is a list of codes needed, and now see how many are bridge related to give you an idea of the magnitude of costs involved. Some are current codes which I don't mind buying, and some are past codes. I've compared some codes in the past and they will release a new code with very minor to few changes. I'm trying to find out if this was a major change (not in this particular case, but lets say an LFD to LRFD change) then I will definitely have to suck it up and buy it. There are tons of people that go into the exam with codes close to those required, but not that exact revision. I'll be taking the bridge portion on the SE II, so this code will only be needed for the SE I exam. I can't rely on some sucker on ebay to buy it, as those in the market for an ACI manual will likely want the 08 code. This ACI reference will likely be updated for the April exam.

Anyone else have any constructive input?

There weren't many changes between 02 and 05. Mostly a clean up of notation.

One significant change was to the strength reduction factor, phi, for flexure. The 02 code had introduced a limitation to phi within the development length of pretensioned strands to a maximum of 0.75 (to account for potential slippage and a brittle failure). If it was tension-controlled phi would normally be 0.9. This limitation within the development length could cause a dramatic step-wise drop in phi, and thus the flexural strength, at the end of the development length.

The 05 code (clause 9.3.2.7) allows phi to vary linearly from 0.75 to the full phi (up to 0.9 if tension-controlled) between the end of the transfer length and the end of the development length. This avoids the dramatic drop in the flexural capacity.

buening,

Buy the ACI Code. AASHTO's concrete section is adopted almost exactly from ACI. You might have noticed a footnote on the first page of section 8 of the Standard Specs that reffers you to ACI for what may be missing like Torsion or deep beam design. LRFD spaecs, section 5, are more comprehensive. I am a bridge person and have had to refer to ACI on occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back