Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acid Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

qca2003

Chemical
Oct 13, 2003
ID

Does anyone know how to make Acid Cleaner ( it means the formula or composition ). As the information this acid cleaner will be used to cleaning the fin of airfin cooler, since the surface of airfin cooler somuch scale that caused by dust accumulation.
As we know the aqueus cleaner are made up of a number of different ingredients including : Builder, Surfactants and Inhibitor, so what kind the builder, surfactant and inhibitor, and also how to the ratio blanding ?

Best regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Acid to remove dirt??? An accumulation of dirt isn’t scale.

Is the airfin cooler aluminum? If so, use a neutral pH cleaner. Both acid and caustic can destroy the protective oxide film on aluminum and then the aluminum itself.

Advise using a commercial detergent with a water spray gun.

Thank you Kenvlach for your comment, as the information, the dirt on the surface of airfin cooler is very hard, it is caused by accumulation of dust and the enviroment is humid and also temperatur of system that is cooled is hot, so the dust adher on the surface of the airfin cooler is hard enough. Last time I was cleaned it with detergent and spray gun, but the result is not maximum.

I think that you should allow the water & detergent to soak for some hours (when the system is off, of course). Then spray rinse.

Is the material aluminum?

Thank you Kenvlach, the material of fin is aluminium. If I use spray gun some of fin become broken, because the fin condition is very thin. Please, maybe any others solution ?

If fins are breaking, pressure & perhaps technique are wrong. Use lower pressure and direct the spray parallel to direction of fins.

We use low pressure water powered by 120 psi compressed air to spray clean condenser fins on refrigeration equipment.

The longer you wait between cleaning, the longer the cleaning will take...

If you can, soak the fins either by immersion or by surrounding with moist air by enclosure or constant stream of spray. Augment the moist air with a detergent or a Terpene (citrus oil - works very well when given enough time to soak and disolve the hardness), then agitate mechanically or ultrasonically to help speed up the process. Water rinse off any residue and air dry.

To make future cleaning easier - spray on a silicone or teflon coating and clean more often. Do not use an oil coating - it will attract dust/dirt and encourage hard buildups.

I would get with a refrigeration supply company and get what is called a fin cleaning solution and if the fins are bent get a fin comb to straighten them out.
These commercial cleaners are inhibited for Al and are quite safe. The secret of cleaning these fins is not trying to get all the soil off a one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back