Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ack! lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

sequimscada

Electrical
May 21, 2009
US
A while back I posted a question as to why, in about 1985, the water department chose to convert 4-20mA to PWM.
I just found the answer. In another system we have two controllers, about 1/2 mile apart, talking to each other via RS-485. I did not know that their RS-485 ports were not isolated! We recently had a lightning strike to the earth nearby. The ground potentials between the two sites differed due to this strike. It blew the tops off of some ICs, protection diodes, etc. So, RS-485 opto-isolators are ordered.

This explains the previous mystery: why they chose PWM for their site-site 4-20mA loop. We were wanting to remove the 4-20mA <-> PWM convertors/relays, etc. from both ends. I guess we'll have to add 4-20mA isolators at both ends or leave it as is.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In central Florida it is very common to use optical fiber for any runs outside a building. We are after all the lighting capital of the US (but not the world).

No kidding, there was a thunderstorm just about every day of last week, when we went to Disneyworld.

However, it did make the crowds really thin down at Blizzard Beach on Tuesday ;-)

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back