Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acoustic properities measurement of Sandwich panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzhoucam

Mechanical
Nov 7, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have a lot of questions but the following two questions are more urgent to me now.

I want to measure the acoustic properties of an ultralight sandwich material(totally only 1.2mm thick). My current plan is to use the impedance tube and two microphones method(ASTM E1050) to measure the absorption coefficient. But I also find another ASTM standard (C384). Can anybody tell me which method is better or easier to measure the absorption coefficient?

The second question is that I also want to measure the sound transmission loss(TL) of this material. But I find the ASTM standards for sound TL is manily used for building materials and need a large reverberation room. My material is mainly used in the truck industry and I also have not so big space and cost to do the measuremtn as the standard suggests. I wonder whether there are alternatives for the sound TL measurement.

Many Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Impedance tube is a waste of time for automotive stuff, IMNVHO. Use a TL suite, or install the material in a vehicle and measure the difference (a tricky process, to say the least).

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back