Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Acquiring ASME stamp for European-stamped vessels

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketscientist

Chemical
Aug 19, 2000
US
I have several vessels that were built in Europe and installed in our plant. We have calculations and the European stamps (on the vessel) but we are missing mill test reports. Are there any ASME Code VIII Div. 1 inspectors who can advise how we can certify these vessels. Our alternative is to make replacements in the states. They are old vessels built in the late 1970s that perform well but I would like to avoid cutting them out of a congested process floor.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

European stamps (on the vessel)
Which stamps exactly are they? Im not familiar with European stamps, but it may be something from the 70s/80s.

... certify these vessels
Certify to ... what exactly?

Our alternative is to make replacements in the states[q/uote]
Why? IF the replacements are intended for the EU market, and for some reason require the ASME stamp, its much easier to source a local supplier who can do ASME work, incl. ASME stamp, than tho have an American apply the PED. Although the opposite (doing stamp work while PED is you nature) is more difficult and labour-intensive, Ive found through the years it's quite hard to tell an American exactly what the PED is and how it works. Keep it local.

I don't think you understand: these vessels were built in Europe in the 1970s and have been in service here, in the US, for decades. An American engineer did calculations showing that the vessels meet code, as far as I can see, but there is nothing to say that the vessels are adequate for service other than that they have been there for nearly 40 years and that they have a stamp from a European country.

Because of the cost to remove these vessels and replace them I would like to know if I can, instead, conduct tests and an inspection to win an ASME stamp, probably an R stamp since these vessels have been in service. The original cost estimate was $150K to replace three of them and that could be light given that the plant has grown up around them. Then, there is the nozzle pipe work: DIN-Imperial conversions, etc.

I'm more curious as to how this could actually be played out...

What kind of stamp is on the vessel now? Was it actually designed to ASME VIII, or was it something else? Late 70s could possibly be BS 5500?

Specifically, "The actual issue was delayed for some time because, in the early 1970's, there was an attempt in Europe to produce an international pressure vessel standard. A draft of the international standard appeared as ISO DIS 2694 [4] in 1973 but it was not generally accepted and the attempt was abandoned in the mid 70's.

RE: stamp

A stamp from the country of origin. It may not have been intentionally built to American (ASME) standards but the calculations by an engineering firm show that it meets, or should I say, met, ASME standards when built.

I am hoping I can find an inspector who will say: hydrotest it, check the material of construction, and inspect it and it's "Saul Goodman."

Back in the 1970's a French built boiler was purchased by one of our insurance client. Since I knew French, I was asked to review the equivalent manufacturer data sheets which showed equivalent details to our US data sheet and which had equivalent construction formulae to the ASME code I. I presented that information to the underwriter and to one of the state boiler inspectors that normally get involved in the first inspection of new installations. From recollection, I believe that the boiler installation was approved by the State. I would recommend that you contact the jurisdiction and the NB for their input before doing anything.

If my recollection is correct, the State inspector would have assigned a state boiler number but no NB number would have been issued as far as I know.

This is likely a situation that you need to bring up with your local boiler authority and/or insurance provider.

I know some jurisdictions have special provisions for authorization of equipment not in compliance with ASME (grandfathered equip, foreign codes, etc...). It's state-by-state however, so it's impossible to say if yours will be okay.

In the end you'll need the approval of the local authority, so you may as well go talk with them now and ask what path forward they will accept.

In the late 1980's when I was working for HSB I also had to prove ASME equivalence for a vessels built in France. I made a presentation to the rules board and after much discussion they approved the installation and the State placed some "State Special Numbers" on them.
Marty, and chicopee are correct contact your local Jurisdiction for further guidance. There will most likely be fees involved.

Good Luck
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back