Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acrobat 3D 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need to determine the "what-fors" and "whys", before we make decisions on software like Adobe 3D.

For example, we are looking ways to communicate design intent, product definition, etc - using the solid model and a viewer instead of investing in drawings which can't "answer questions" like a intergatable (sp?) model in a viewer.

So, for our use, we've narrowed it down to two products, neither of which are partnered tightly with our current MCAD. Adobe 3D is great and exciting, but it just isn't good for communication between engineers and manufacturing.

That's my two cents...

Hello Theophilus and Zissou,

Very good points, am thinking that perhaps Acrobat 3D may be best for the following:

- Technical Publications, thus saving the need for another CAD license
- Marketing, one can create simple renderings without a rendering add-on or software
- 3D PDF animations

Just tossing a couple of ideas. We were not impressed with the measure tool that Adobe has, but then again we are not experts by any means.

Cheers,

Joseph

When we looked at 3D viewers, the measurement tools where one of the key functions that we assessed. I agree with you, josephv, that Adobe's measurement functions where poorly implemented. I will honestly say that I was very excited when I first looked at Adobe, but that has sense worn off.

I do agree with you, though, about the technical pubs. How great it would be to have a "live" model in a service pub. I think with OLE most of the viewers can be inserted as an object into Word, etc.

This, along with other software moving us closer to Y14.41 compliance, is a very exciting part of our world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back