Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acrylic Pressure Vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

torsani

Mechanical
Sep 4, 2001
BR
Hi

Does ASME Code supply rules for pressure vessel design in acrylic?

Tanks
Torsani

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

torsani,

I also suggest that you review the rules of ASME-RTP which defines the requirements for "Reinforced Thermoset Plastic Corrosion Resistant" vessels.

You can find out about this form
There are several vendors out there that have the RTP stamp and have performed the required testing of RTP vessels. ( I understand that this is expensive)

Of course, if you operate under 15psig, you may want to review your options for the need of ASME construction.....

My opinion only....

MJC

"There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation." W.C. Fields

as an RTP-1 certificate holder and a memeber of both ASME RTP-1 and ASME Section X i must reply and dispel some of the misconceptions of cost.

first Acrylic is not one of the materials recognized for construction of vessels to ASME RTP-1. there is a section for dual laminates - thermoplastic liner with reinforced thermoset plastic structural. Section X is very similar on materials except that other materials and construction is allowed if certain testing is performed to "prove" the design to be safe for the intended service.

second the equipment is not "expensive" when you consider safety and documentation. equipment designed, built, inspected, and stamped to either of these ASME documents provides the end user with documented and accepted design, construction, testing, and inspection that the equipment meets specified criteria within the respective documents. Other standards governing the design, construction, inspection, and testing of RTP equipment are voluntary and do not requrie third party oversight for compliance. you get what you pay for.

since the ASME RTP-1 standard is relatively new (introduced in 1989) there are many misconceptions about its use and cost. there are many companies that require stamped equipment and governing bodies are starting to require stamped equipment for specific applications within their jurisdiction.

for your specific application i would suggest contacting the various certificate holders (you can find them on the ASME web site and conveying your application and requirements for this equipment.

please feel free to contact me with any questions at dxk@viatec.com

thank you

Check ASME PVHO-1 "Safety Standard for Pressure Vessels for Human Occupancy" - They used to have info on acrylic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back