Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

activation home laptop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky640

Mechanical
May 28, 2004
US
Ok, I have a question about the activation of a Solidworks 2007 SP3.1 on a laptop that is used only when I am away from my Desktop. I know it is in the Solidworks Guidelines that I can use Solidworks on a portable device as long as my main computer is used more than 80% of the time. My company has 3 seats of Solidwork and they are all installed on a desktop. Today I updated all of our computers to SP3.1 and I got to my laptop. When I try to activate it I make sure I chose "Home" as it's place of use. But, it says that the 3 seats are already installed. I have searched Solidworks webpage and I can't find any answers. Can anyone help me?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For every one 1 seat of SW you get 2 licenses. So you should only use one seat serial number at work per station. You can take the other home. If you didn't install your seats like that prior to SP3 or later then all your licenses are used up., Sounds to me like your serial number is being used by another seat in the office that's why you can't install it on your laptop.

You need to check out who has what serial numbers and then if you have to transfer the license back to SW and start over with Licenses... that doesn't require to to reinstall. But if your colleagues are using your serial number then it will require them to change their installation of SW (see control panel\Change after you select Solidworks)

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back