Active filter and cable sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex68

Electrical
Jul 22, 2002
IT
Dear Collegues,

I must size the cable of an active filter.

This cable has to carry a little 50 Hz harmonic but lots of harmonics in the range 150 Hz to 2.5 kHz.
So I can't apply the usual sizing criteria based on the fondamental harmonic and the de-rating factors as indicated in the Red Book and the IEEE 519.

I could apply the heating criteria described in IEC 60287 standard for each harmonic. But it could be a very long job.

Is there a standard (ANSI, IEEE, IEC, BS, ...) concerning this matter?
What criteria do you apply? How do you approach this problem?

Thank you
Alex68

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would be helpful, if you provide information on the rating of the active filter unit.

The neccessary derating for a cable varies signifcantly with cross section.

The Active Filter will remove the fundamental current by way of a notch filter, so other than the switching losses (approximately 2% of the filter frame size) the only line current will be the harmonic current plus the 2% swiching losses.
From experience, I would suggest derating the input cable harmonic current by at least 15%, plus the 2%, assuming the the distance to the supply is within 5m.

Thank you for your answers.
Some data:

Filter:
Connection voltage is 600V. Rating is 4*900A rms. Harmonic current is mainly 5th but this can change and what we need is a general purpose rating method that can be adjusted to almost what ever combination of harmonic loads the operators dial up on the controller. 50Hz is only on a "what left" basis so if heavy drilling load no 50Hz.

Cable:
3x(1x500) sqmm on cable tray indoors 40degC max temp.
Tinned annealed copper conductor, singlo core, taped, 0.6/1kV R-HF-90 insultaed, HF-90-R inner sheath, tape TN/Copper braid, taped, HF-90-R sheaths. To AS/NZS 4193 W/A.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Cheers
Alex68

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back