Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Actual start and actual finish dates are changing start & finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveGeneski

Computer
Mar 10, 2006
US
I added an actual start and actual finish columns to my project plan in the gant chart view. When I try to update the actual start and actual finish dates, it changes the start and finish dates. I must be doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Start and finished are actually planned start and finish. Actual start and actual finish are used for tracking and updates a task as to the actual dates a task was performed. Start and finish will react to the actual start and finish dates entered.

Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT
Certified MS Project/MS Project Trainer

Yes I don't understand why it changes the start and finish. Since I originally predicted the start and finish they shouldn't change when I update the actual start and actual finish, but it does. I think MS Project is flawed in this way. Thanks

MSPTrainer answered very well. I only add that when you give an activity some progress of percent complete greater than zero...the planned date at the time of the progress entry becomes the "Actual" start date. Also when you give an activity 100% complete the Finish date at that time of entry of 100% progress, becomes the "Actual Finish" date.

Thanks ProjConPro, MSPtrainer and mlmaclean I have a good understanding of how those fields work now. I will add baseline start and finish to my plan to show the difference between estimated and actuall. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back