Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ad -- A "Driven" dimension that will not be created!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jalipa

Materials
Jun 5, 2001
GB
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to set my config.pro (sorry "options" ;-)) so i can create "ad" or "Driven" (sometimes called "created") dimensions. This is in 2001.

I have tried setting "create_drawing_dims_only" and "draw_models_read_only" to values of "no" in options.

And the drawing setup (.dtl file) to "associative_dimensioning" to both "yes" and "no"

I have even gone into properties and changed "add" to "ad" but it hasn't worked. (I can change the label but not the substance!)

Any ideas on what I should do???

Thanks in advance!

J.

d - A "driving" or "shown" dimension created during feature creation in the model. These dimensions can be displayed and modified in Part or Assembly mode by choosing Modify and picking on the feature or component. These dimensions can be displayed in Drawing mode by selecting Show/Erase, Dimension, and can be modified by choosing Modify, Value. In each case, modifications are associative between the model and the drawing.

ad - A "created" or "driven" dimension which is associative to the model and stored with the model but cannot be modified in the drawing. These dimensions will update in the drawing when model geometry is modified. "Ad" dimensions result when the config.pro options "create_drawing_dims_only" and "draw_models_read_only" have values of "no", which are the default values.

add - a created draft dimension which is still associative to the geometry or draft entity which it references, but gets stored with the drawing. "Add" dimensions result when the config.pro options "create_drawing_dims_only" or "draw_models_read_only" have values of "yes", or if a model edge and a draft entity are used for the references of a created dimension. To create "add" dimensions for referencing draft geometry, the Drawing Setup file option "associative_dimensioning" must be set equal to "yes".

dd - a draft dimension which is not associative to the draft entity which it references. To create "dd" dimensions, the Drawing Setup File option "associative_dimensioning" must be set equal to "no".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jalipa
I am not sure what exactly tou want. I will assume that you want to change the value of the dimension to a text of your choice. If this is the case you have to replace th @ad with @O (letter), then you can write virtually anything you want to show instead of the dim.

Joe Borg

"d" "ad" "dd" "add" all refer to the type of dimension.

If you select INFO, SWITCH DIMS (when you have dimensions on display) you will see the numbers replaced by symbols...eg "d613" or "ad613".

Now you can overwrite (@O) "add" & "ad" dimensions, which are created in the drawing, but not "d" which drive the model.

What i want to do, is to show an axis datum on a dimension, which itself has been overwritten (as a blank).

Now "add" type dimensions can be overwritten, but you cannot show datums on them.

But "ad" dimensions you can show datums.

Joe - thanks, but slight cross purpose - the "D" you refer to is the actual value of the dimensions not the dimension reference...which is what I want to change.

Again, can anyone help me??

J.

Hello,

If I understand this correctly, you have created a dimension on a drawing, which you have overwriten as blank, so no value is showing.

On this dimension you wish to add a datum, for geometric tolerancing, I presume.

When you are in the drawing can you not select INSERT--> DATUM--> AXIS, then create the datum as required.

Is this what you require? If so, I can send you this model and drawing if necessary, all I need is your e-mail address.

----------------------------------
Hope this helps.
----------------------------------

maybe only a drafter
but the best user at this company!

Hi onlyadrafter,

Yes - spot on!

My understanding is: that you can only insert datums into type "d" and "ad" dimensions.

(I've never used type "dd")

All the dimensions that I (currently) create in the drawing are type "add".

Now, for some reason when I change the config.pro settings (see my 1st msg above) so I can create type "ad" -- they (the new settings) do not take effect. That's the problem.

Not certian if your model/drw will help. I do have some drw's with type "ad" but I'll give it a go

jalipa@msn.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back