Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ADA and Steep Streets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

raydefan

Civil/Environmental
Dec 14, 2004
US
I have prepared plans for a street rehab of an existing street where the existing street grades are over 5% in some areas. This project includes sidewalk replacement and the contractor is saying that he can't build a sidewalk with a slope greater than 5% because it is against the ADA (CBC in California) code. I have always thought that the sidewalk can follow the grade of the road without any issues but I can't justify it with a specific code. Anyone have any thoughts? What do they do in San Fransico?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This might be a situation defined as 'technically infeasible'. Here is the definition below, cut and pasted from the American with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines (ADAAG) :

Technically Infeasible. Means, with respect to an alteration of a building or a facility, that it has little likelihood of being accomplished because existing structural conditions.......or because other existing physical or site constraints prohibit modification or addition of elements, spaces, or features which are in full and strict compliance with the minimum requirements for new construction and which are necessary to provide accessibility.

How long are your sections greater than 5%? Do you have room in the ROW to create sidewalk switchbacks? Ramps can also exceed 5% (1:12) for 30-foot distances as long as they have handrails and landing areas at either ends.

If it has to be limited to 5%, just restrict the handicap access to motorized wheelchairs.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Like a few have have mentioned, California in some cases is more (or should I say "many") restrictive with ADA regulations than the federal standard. If your project is in California, I would suggest using the CALDAG....its a great resource. It contains interpretations and explanations of ADA standards between Federal and California standards completely filled with tables, figures and detailed summary of the most restrictive standard.

I work primarly in the San Francisco Bay Area, and yes the great manjority of the time, the sidewalk will follow the slope of the street. That is what is done in San Francisco. In other cities, they allow you to follow the grade of the road as long as the sidewalk is not separated from the curb.

In my 5 years of experience, I have only come across one project where I was asked to meet ADA standards for a sidewalk on a street that exceeded 10%. The only way to do so, was to separate the sidewalk and slope it to the maximum 8.33% with handrails. It was a so NOT attractive solution but it was approved.

The moment that your walkway exceeds 5% and its separated than it becomes a ramp and there are length, width and handrail requirements that need to be followed. I hope this helps.

Well, here in Florida we have our "Roadway Design Standards" which cleary states all ADA requirements for many scenerios. I hope California has them. Always refer to the Design Standards for your state. If not then go online and look it up on another states standards. Most are all in PDF and downloadable. It's a great template to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back