Adafruit FT232H for charging an external device

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC288110

Electrical
Aug 11, 2022
US
Hi everyone,
I've been attempting to get the adafruit FT232H to simultaneously charge an android device and communicate over RS-232 to no avail. I have the driver for Android installed in the application that was written and I'm powering the board with a buck converter providing 5V and up to 2A. The android will not charge, but if the external 5V power supply is unplugged the FT232H will continue to be powered by the android tablet. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"What can the FT232H chip do? This chip from FTDI is similar to their USB to serial converter chips but adds a 'multi-protocol synchronous serial engine' which allows it to speak many common protocols like SPI, I2C, serial UART, JTAG, and more! There's even a handful of digital GPIO pins that you can read and write to do things like flash LEDs, read switches or buttons, and more. The FT232H breakout is like adding a little swiss army knife for serial protocols to your computer!"

I see no "use as a charging device" in that list. Are you expecting to force power back through the USB connector rather than just adding a USB connector directly to the power supply?

Depending on the device you are trying to charge through USB, you may have to provide a specific signal on the data lines to get it to charge. There are ICs that will do this for you, but as 3DDave pointed out, if the FT232H board doesn't have it on there, you will need some hardware changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back