Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adams tyre testing trailer model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komo421

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2012
ZA
Hi all, I'm simulating a tyre testing trailer in Adams/view to determine the change in the normal force acting on three vertical load cells attached to the trailer. I have a problem where the simulation runs, but after a while one of the joints that act as the load cell locks up? Any ideas on how to fix this or what to look at?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The body is a small trailer that consists of a larger main frame to which the tow hitch and the left wheel assembly is attached. Then there is a smaller sub-frame to which the right wheel is attached and the the whole sub-frame is connected to the main frame using the load cells. These load cells are represented as links between the sub and main frame. The links are connected to the sub-frame with spherical joints to allow for rotation in all directions. They are then connected to the main frame using hookes joints to prevent any redundancy and then there is a fixed joint between the links to record the forces.

The trailer's weight is 150kg, with inertia's as follows:
Ixx = 39 kg/m^2
Iyy = 37 kg/m^2
Izz = 4.7 kg/m^2

Then there are two free rotational revolute joints between the wheels (used from the Adams/tire property file) and the hub of the trailer.
A massless sphere (representing the tow hitch) is fixed to the main body with a spherical joint and a translational joint is applied between the sphere and the road (also Adams/tire road property file) this translational joint is used for the forward motion.

Hope this helps
Thanx

I'm also constantly getting a warning when I'm tying to run the simulation from static equilibrium of:
"Right road edge passed" and I have tried to rotate the road 180 degrees, then I get another warning of:
"Edge of road reached".

It looks like it simulates fine with no errors but has this happened to anyone or does anyone know how to correct this?
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back