Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adaptive Optic on Amada FO3015 with AF4000E fanuc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPosty

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2014
US
Slowly but surely ironing out bugs as I learn on our Amada. one issue that seems to have cropped up is our focus has drastically changed. We are finding focus about .150" higher than it used to be. The book we have does not seem to be for our machine which makes things a little difficult. The two things I want to evaluate is the Z-Axis Calibration and the B-Axis Calibration beyond the programs in the operators manual.

Z-Axis: How would this be checked and if necessary be calibrated? The book has us run a program, it goes off to this plate out of the play area, comes back ready to to go. But I would like to jog it to a known location, have it come down to a distance off the material lock it in place and measure it to ensure .030" off the material is in fact .030". Can the head be jogged down manually then set in "Hold" (I used to use Laser Mechanisms Accufocus non-Contact system, and it has this function. Is it a parameter section?

B-Axis adaptive Optic: How does one evaluate this? I talked to our Amada rep (Sherman), who is very good, but very busy, and he says we are only one of 2 customers with this system, and that he has never had to screw with this. He did tell me to make sure Pressure is different at different areas of the table. I feel guilty bugging him too much because we do most of our own maintenance now, and he is always on the road. What pressures should we see at what locations? How do you rule this out as a problem.

we have changed a lot of optics, so maybe a .150" change is normal. I would just like to be able to isolate areas of the machine to help me find my tail.

"I am stuck on Band-Aid brand, 'cause they are stuck on me"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Presumably, your system is capable of cutting sheets of material that are on the order of 0.01-in thickness, so 0.15-inch error would be unacceptable. The bottom line is whether your system can do the job you intended it to do. If you are cutting 0.2-inch kerfs and you don't care about edge quality or transition, then perhaps you are done. If you are attempting to cut 0.01-inch kerfs, it's unlikely that being that far out of focus will achieve that level of performance.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Thanks, my concern is it is wandering. I would like to be able to verify the operation of those sub-systems if possible. we are able to achieve desired results, but it seems like we have to re-align focus every few days. could be bad optic obviously.

We also been having a nagging edge quality issue (see attached), it will cut 3 and 1/2 sides fine on our test squares. Our square starts in the middle of one side, cuts good, takes left, cuts full side good, left again, good, but on the final return it gets ratty on the same side it started. we can minimize the issue with focus, power, etc. But it still won't look quite right. We can live with it for now, but I would like to have a good game plan ready when I can have the Machine.

Has anyone ran into this?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=cc66b025-5fe2-48c1-81f4-a11f8ddad90c&file=edge_return_issue.jpg
How good is the nozzle alignment?
Also what nozzle are you using on stainless, and what cutting type is selected for the AO? cleancut thick ect..
if you are cutting with stainless a good place to start is with clean cut selected and the focal point at halfway through the material, so it should be a negative number

we have run several types of materials and thicknesses, they do use different nozzles 2.0, 3.0 etc. we ordered a bunch of new nozzles and they get same results. next time I get machine I will be doing full alignment again.

This is such a weird phenomenon to me. starts on the edge fine, it only messes up on final return on same side it started fine.

I have a bunch to do to this machine, just trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. The application end of it I never used to have to deal with before, just fixing the lasers I worked on. This is the most complicated beam delivery I have ever had to work with. lot going on in it. we are able to eliminate it with parameters, so not really an issue other in that it eats at my brain why only one half of a side. our parametrs are also very different than we used to use. This is why I want to be able to check the sub systems individually.

If it was me i would look at my code and see if there is something in there that shouldn't be perhaps the software is changing something for your start cut/end cut. If you are hand typing it in maybe check your edge settings if you have a lead out on your lead in that would not account for it being across the board for all materials tho. I am no expert by any means. Is there a parameter setting for lead in or lead out? does it happen on all your parts? Just some ideas that you probably thought of lol good luck

I will keep it shot. I had written this long explanation on my telephone and as soon as I hit "submit post" it was gone. Not too happy I cant pontificate on my phone and share with the world. First part no problem, second part...

The problem is either your focus lens is heating up or your output mirror. I have only done it once, and it worked okay, but you can decrease your aging time by pulling just that mirror and the rear mirror out and cleaning them. Please clean both sides of the the output mirror.

I have seen it many times, common problem. If it doesn't work, you may have some water cooling issues but lets save all that typing for another time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back