Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add-In to highlight entire row/column of selected cell in Excel? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

brengine

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2001
US
Anyone know of an Add-In (or something else) for Excel that will highlight entire row and column of selected cell, instead of just the row and column headers? I think I saw this in Lotus. It'd be nice to have that feature in Excel. I wrote a macro to do it, but the only way to highlight the rows and columns I could think of was to select them...and then that mess's with which cell is selected because they're all selected...and when I hit the Delete key, *all* those cells were deleted :(

Thanks for your time,
Ken

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can use conditional formating features and specify following two conditions, for entire sheet cells, with appropriate cell format
Condition 1
[COLOR=red yellow]
Formula Is =ROW()=activerow()
[/color]
Condition 2
[COLOR=red yellow]
Formula Is =Column()=activecol()
[/color]
whre ActiveRow and ActiveCol are two functions defined in a module as
[COLOR=red yellow]
Function ActiveRow()
ActiveRow = ActiveCell.Row
End Function
Function ActiveCol()
ActiveCol = ActiveCell.Column
End Function
[/color]
To apply this formating each time you select a cell write following code in SelectionChange event of the worksheet as
[COLOR=red yellow]
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
ActiveCell.Calculate
End Sub
[/color]
This however will suppress your existing cell formats temporarily when highlighting the row and column
I can give you the sample if required
Hope this will help

The method above forces excel to execute a macro every time you move the cursor. It means no UNDO or even COPY command will be available... Too much of a price to pay... Once I wrote the following routine for company timesheet:

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)

Dim irow%
On Error Resume Next
irow = Target.row
Range("A1:T40").Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
Cells(irow, 2).Resize(1, 19).Interior.ColorIndex = 36

End Sub

It does the work, but disadvantages I described still apply.

No these disadvantages are not there. However, I would be better to modify the code as under
[COLOR=red yellow]Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim WinState, MyWin As Window

ActCol = Target.Column
ActRow = Target.Row
Set MyWin = ThisWorkbook.Windows(1)
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
WinState = MyWin.WindowState
MyWin.WindowState = xlMinimized
MyWin.WindowState = WinState
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Public ActCol, ActRow

Function ActiveRow()
ActiveRow = ActRow
End Function

Function ActiveCol()
ActiveCol = ActCol
End Function
[/color]

A sample can be downloaded from

[URL unfurl="true"]http://home.ripway.com/2004-6/135145/Public/HighlightSelectedRowColumn.xls[/url]

In both the original code and modified code, the COPY and UNDO features are available

Thanks! Your code works great, undo and copy command work as well. The only complain, the windows blink performing Application.ScreenUpdate.

Whoops PMover,

I think you missed the concept. We are trying to highlight a cell, column, row, etc... when another cell is selected.

For me, I created a vacation calendar with dates going down the left and people's names across the top. When a person selects a cell somewhere in the middle of the spreadsheet, I want the name cell on the top and the date cell on the left to be selected to show where they are (like an X Y coordinate). In the example below, the person clicked on the cell under Bob and on January 3rd, I would like Bob's name to highlight and January 3rd to highlight.

Eric Sally BOB Robert Pam Mary ....
jan 1
jan 2
JAN 3 XXX
jan 4
jan 5

After a while last night, I WAS able to use tmukhtar example and get it working. When I get home tonight, I'll post my implementation of his code for others to reference.

Eric

thanks Eric! whoops is right . . . i oft glance over text (reading too much at times) and not read the details. shame on me . . .

thanks again!

-pmover

This code is the same concept but does not need conditional formatting.

If Len(ActCol) > 0 Then 'Not first time in worksheet
Cells(ActRow, ActCol).EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone
Cells(ActRow, ActCol).EntireColumn.Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone
Else 'First time in worksheet
Range("A1:IV65536").Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone 'Clear colorindex of entire worksheet
End If

ActRow = Target.Row
ActCol = Target.Column

Cells(ActRow, ActCol).EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 19 '19 is light yellow
Cells(ActRow, ActCol).EntireColumn.Interior.ColorIndex = 19

End Sub

Public ActCol, ActRow

Simplification of above post. Also, when using code from first post, I was getting slow response once I updated data in a cell. This approach does not use conditional formatting and does not affect the speed after updates. Also it does not require a separate module for the ActRow and ActCol public variables:

'Clear interior color for entire worksheet
Range("A1:IV65536").Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone

'Set row/column interior color
Cells(Target.Row, Target.Column).EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 19 '19 is light yellow
Cells(Target.Row, Target.Column).EntireColumn.Interior.ColorIndex = 19

End Sub

Simplification of above post. Also, when using code from first post, I was getting slow response once I updated data in a cell. This approach does not use conditional formatting and does not affect the speed after updates:

Cells(Target.Row, Target.Column).EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 19 '19 is light yellow

End Sub

Two alternatives

1. Use script from 22-AUG and copy the value from the forumla entry (or double-click cell, drag mouse over values, press ctrl-c) which uses Windows copy instead of Excel cell copy.

2. Modify script as below. With this, you need to press ESC to get out of Excel copy mode:
If Application.CutCopyMode Then
Else

End If
End Sub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back