Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add tags to Weldments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitsu50

Mechanical
Jun 26, 2003
US
Hi all,

Is it possible to create a macro that when i add a weldment view to a drawing, i can select a structural member, and have it add a description tag to the member that is specified in custom properties?

I've seen piping programs for autocad that if you select a piece of pipe, it will allow you to place a piece of descriptive text, and attach it to the piece. thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks TateJ. You're right. There seems to be no way to get access to the body properties from the balloon (custom property link) dialog. After playing with this quickly it seems to me this is missing functionality. Someone should really talk with SW about this.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
SW 2006 SP 2.0

this should be good enough for now. i still have to type it in the custom properties, but at least thetext in the drawing will update automatically.

If only there was a way to get the actual weldment info like 2x2x.25 (that the profile has stored in it) to show up per a custom prop without typing. the info is in there its just, can i get it to output. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Mitsu...

If you have the weldment profile set-up correctly... you won't have to type the data in every time you use it. Read-up on weldments & cut lists in the help menus & then we can help you with specific questions.

Windows 2000 Professional / Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
SolidWorks 2006 SP02.0 / SpaceBall 4000 FLX
Diet Coke with Lime / Dark Chocolate
Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

i see what you are saying about the cut list, and the information that shows up.

Is there a way to get that information from the cut list to show up if i add annotations to a view, and use the link to custom properties option. This is what i mean by not having to type redundant information. Thanks!

i should add that i want to have the information show up next to the part, and not in the cut list so the field guys can just look at the ISO view, and know what the particular member is. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back