Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Added Text in Dimensions (Drawing) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heckler

Mechanical
Apr 2, 2004
US
I'm creating a drawing with dimensions used to create the model. Here is my problem - I click on the dimension then in the property manager I add 2X<DIM> to signify I want two of those please. Then I will go do something else within SWx. Then come back to the drawing and bam that added text is back to just the dimension <DIM>. I just upgraded to 2005 from 2003 so is this a new problem or a setting I'm not aware existed. Thanks [banghead]

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400

Do you trust your intuition or go with the flow?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you go to dim props and select MODIFY TEXT, then add 2X, does it do the same thing?
Also, even though the 2X goes away, does it show up in PRINT PREVIEW or when printing?
I do not have this problem.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP1.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

It sounds to me like you do not have the ability to update your model from the drawing.

See thread559-90842 for how to change the setting.

Are you importing the model items/dimensions into the drawing, or are you manually adding the dimensions with the "smart dimension" tool? I can duplicate your problem only if I go to Insert > Model Items and pick the dimensions from "Entire Model".
If I use the Smart Dimension tool, then I can add a prefix or suffix (2X or O.D. for example) and if I change the model, the prefix or suffix stays put.

Flores

I was having the same problem and was told that it is a known bug in SP02. The only workaround is to add the text in the model dimensions.

I've placed the dimensions via Insert > Model Items then placed the dimensions in the views I wanted them in. It seems their is a difference when picking the dimension then working on the text in the property manager verses RMB > Properties > Modify Text. The later worked and the text is still holding its new values.

Thanks OLID for that thread....a star for you [smile]

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400

Scott,

I have a question - Why would SWx want the user to go into Regedit to change a variable? I just think it would be more user friendly if SWx had something like Pro/e 2001 a user config file that variables could be set or overridden. I'm not sure SWx intended for their user base to hack into regedit to set a variable. Correct me if I'm wrong here but SWx still sells itself on bi-directionality between part - assembly - drawing, correct? Just a thought while I'm trying to wake up.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400

Was that FAQ written for SW 2004? The reason I ask is because I am using 2005 SP 2, and by default it is set to allow changes to a part from the drawing file. It just depends on whether you are using model dimensions (as I stated above) or a smart-dimension, which is essentially a reference dimension and not a driving dimension.

Flores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back