Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Adding a Hoist

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKJ25POL

Structural
Mar 4, 2011
US
We are adding a hoist to a larage open steel structure (industrial) on higher elevation/floor. Do I need to check all beams, columns and connections?
To how far checks need to be done the hoist is 1Ton capcity.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to ensure that any existing member that is going to see an increase in load due to the hoist installation is safe. Definitely including the connections at each end.

That doesn't necessarily mean you have to run detailed calculations on each member and connection, but it might.

I'm normally not bold enough to say this but I'm having a rather difficult day so today I'll be the arsehole, that is a very basic question should you be tackling the project if you can't answer something so rudementary?

Now that I'm back off my high horse, if the existing structure was designed and built in house it may not meet any specific code and as such could cause unforeseen issues. Follow the load down to the foundation and check items as required.

As you move deeper down the load path, structural elements gradually collect more load. You should keep on checking things until you get to members and connections whose load demands are relatively unaffected. And, even at that, some judgement is required.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

I second KootK's comments.
If you have a structural model or previous calculations showing the utilization ratios for the existing structure, this should give you a better idea of the impact from the 1 ton hoist. If the beams and columns are only at 60%, it probably won't make a difference.
Usually the industrial structures are designed conservatively and I can't see a 1 ton hoist failing the structure.
I would check all beams and connections that will see the increased loading first. Use engineering judgement after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back