Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a prefix to BOM Item #'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesusman

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2004
US
I have a question or two, but I will reserve one for each new thread.

Is there any way to put a prefix on the BOM entry of each part, but still have them number incrementally? ie. If I wanted all my parts on my -30 drawing to have a prefix of "30-x", Where 30 would = the drawing number and x = item #. Then if I removed a part from the assembly, the BOM would update, but there would be no gap in the numbers.

If that is not possible, I think I saw somewhere where you can continue the BOM numbering on the next drawings??

Thanks!

J.D.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can use the SolidWorks BOM and put the BOM onto sheet 1. You split the BOM and delete the section you do not want. Then do the same thing for sheet 2.

If you are just starting to use BOM’s, start and use only the SolidWorks BOM.

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP4.0
PDM Works, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

You cannot add a prefix or suffix, but you can select a Start at number in the BOM Managers Item Numbers section. This would not help you much though as an assy with more than 9 parts would push the item number into the 40s.

Using the Indented assemblies option will give a X.Y.Z type item number, where X = the top level component (part or assy); Y would be a sub-component of X; and Z a sub of Y. The BOM could then be split to match the componenet assy drawing.

Sounds like a lot of work though and might make drawing management more complicated.

[cheers]

hmm, well I probably have 20 parts in each sub assembly and I certainly don't want them to overlap. I think the current drafter (who is much more versed than I am) uses a Part No. for his BOM # as he does have gaps from time to time. I was just trying to avoid that. It wouldn't bother me if the gap was between sheets, but I don't like the gaps within one BOM. I'll do some thinking as to how best to approach this given my situation.
Thanks!
J.D.

J.D.,
As a side note: Don’t all the employees of your company have to follow some sort of drafting standards?
You say:
I think the current drafter (who is much more versed than I am) uses a Part No. for his BOM #
Why do you not have a standard way of doing this?

Are you two using the SolidWorks BOM’s?

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP4.0
PDM Works, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

Bradley - The other drafter is a contract drafter, so he is not in house, or even in-state for that matter. So I am the only drafter employeed directly within the company and am having to start from scratch, including learning SW!

J.D.

I found a way to do this. Not alone mind you, I had some expert help.

Select the Column with the item numbers. Then select Column properties in the Property Manager. IN the Column Properties select equation and enter the following.

="X"'ITEM NO.'

Where X = the value you want to put in there. In my case it will be the sheet #

Thanks Josh of
J.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back