Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding automated weight in BOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamik

Automotive
Apr 22, 2003
FI
Hello!

I've tried to figure how to add weight to BOM (that uppdates automatically from mass properties). Is there a way to do it or do I just have to add it manually?

Bamik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Link the mass to a custom property (research custom properties in the help file).

Go to the custom properties manager ("File-->Properties" and click on the "Custom" tab). Here is where you make custom properties. You can make a property titled "part_mass" and link its value to any of the mass properties by clicking the "Mass Properties" button.

[bat]Gravity is a harsh mistress.[bat]

Bamik,

What TheTick said is what I have been doing too. He is pretty smart sometimes :)

If you put a Custom Property in each part like he stated, you can add the column to your Excel BOM pretty easy. From inside your BOM template, insert a column anywhere (left of the "$$END" one though) and using Excels name function (Insert | Name | Define), use the custom property name (part_mass) as the cell name. If you add a column L, then make cell "L1" have a name of part_mass. You can write WEIGHT in L1 as it's "value" also, so it will show up in your BOM.

Hope you have it...

Mr. Pickles

One caveat regarding mass properties in custom properties:

The units of the mass properties are not governed by the units setting in the Document Properties. They are governed by the units set under "Options" in the Mass Properties tool (See "Tools->Mass Properties" or click the "blue balance" icon on the "Tools" toolbar).

[bat]Gravity is a harsh mistress.[bat]

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the comments. Problem solved completely.

Bamik.

now, next part of this question. is there any way to make solidworks AUTOMATICALY add the custom mass property to every new part?

lawsonpu:
Just modify your part(and assembly) templates to include the custom property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back