Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Font Types

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwingfan01

Automotive
Jan 6, 2009
US
My company has a number of ttf (true type font) files that have our customer names and other various things that we would like to have on our prints so that they export to a .pdf properly.

is it possible to add ttf files to nx6 so that they can be used in drafting?

if so how / where do i put the files.

Alternately is it possible to take the mdcsolid font and have it work when exporting to .pdf

right now it and a couple other kinds of text change to a system font when exporting to .pdf

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only tool that we have at the moment is something called FontFactory which will help you convert TrueType fonts into NX fonts. This is a free software package (see attachment) which is provided 'as is' and which was written by one of our employees as a sort of personal effort. His real intention was learning how to use Visual Basic as well as Microsoft Foundation Classes as he was an old UG FORTRAN programmer who hadn't done any real programming in a while as he had been promoted up to a position where he was utilizing other skill sets but was wanting to sort of keep his hand in the game, as it were, and so he knew there was an interest in something like this so he gave it shot and it's been really useful to those people who have used it.

His only request was that I be the 'distributor' and that I remind people that since it's 'free', they will be sure to their money's worth when it comes to maintenance and upgrades (he said that after he finished FontFactory V1.0, but we are already up to V3.0 so who knows). Oh, and I can't reveal his name otherwise he might get inundated with other requests and he's no longer getting paid to program so...

As for why we don't have something official built into NX is because we're actually working on allowing NX to use TTF directly without the need for conversion so at best this will is only a temporary situation. And before anyone asks, NO, NX 7.5 is NOT the release which will support this, but we're getting close ;-)

Anyway, download the attachment as it contains the FontFactory V3.0 program, user documentation which includes the installation instructions and as an added bonus, a set of NX Fonts based on something call the 'Hershey Fonts' developed by a Dr. Hershey while working for a Navel R&D facility many years ago, long before TTF fonts, in an attempt to create a stroked-font (which NX Fonts are and which at one time ALL system which drove plotters used since plotter were originally all pen plotters) which was much more readable and had the appearance of the type sets used in traditional offset-printing operations. So enjoy.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back