Adding humification to small server room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daianto

Mechanical
Oct 2, 2008
CA
Hi,
We had a project to provide new AC to small (2 tons worth of AC) server room. Person 1 on job selected small Liebert which would have had humidification, but turns out unit would have been hard to fit in room. Job switched to person 2 who selected unit which fits (Mitsubishi ceiling suspended unit) but no humidification. Some miscommunication here, I know..Room is just fine now with respect to temp but is lacking humidity-should be 40% to 60% and is at 20% RH.. Can we add to room small (VERY small) humidifier w/humidistat? I know usually with computer room ac units these are integral. But here we have such small load and space problems, plus we already have AC unit there....Any thoughts plaese?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the issue personal comfort? My understanding is that most server room (nearly all) have no minimum humidity requirement.

I'd get confirmation from someone that they need higher humidity for some reason.

Most server manufacturers suggest a minimum RH%...

Problems can arise with low humidity: Copper wires can corrode, dust may collect easier, higher static electricity, etc... If it's too high, condensate may become an issue.

Thanks very much! We are putting in a humidifier, client seems Ok with it,although the neater solution would be of course a proper AC room unit ..
The server equipment does need 40-60% RH, apparently.

You can get standalone humidifiers from Armstrong as well.

ASHRAE now specifies the acceptable humidity range as a dewpoint, and I can't remember the numbers off hand, but it is more relaxed from the old 40-55% RH range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back