Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Right Click Units Convert in Windows 7 - NX6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajkodiak

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2005
US
We are just now switching to Windows 7 for our NX6 boxes. I'm pretty green with Win 7 and I want to add in the explorer right click context menu, options to convert the units of NX6 or later files like we had in XP. Can someone give me a step by step how to do this.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We assigned two options to the .prt file extension in windows explorer. One for inch-to-mm and one for mm-to-inch. See the attached gif to see how the menu item was assigned. When you right click on the file in explorer you have these two options avaiable. Click on the one desired and it fires off the conversion. Now how to set it up in Windows 7

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c34ecddd-fe4d-4513-bffd-8e235a90cafa&file=Unit_Convert_Setup.gif
thread561-261407 contains instructions for setting it up in Windows XP. I don't have Win 7 to test with, so I don't know what needs to change, if anything. Try it out, and let us know how it goes.

That works great in XP.I've had it set up that way for years.

In win 7 there is no tools menu, I have yet found, that will allow me to go in and assign a batch to fire off and convert. I'm trying to avoid having to use the goofy GUI executable. (convertprt.exe)

I’m guessing this must be another GTAC band aide to try and disguise the underlying archaic unit conversion system NX has had since way back when it ran on a Sumerian abacus.

With windows 7, to edit the context (right-click) menu you need to modify the registry. Since you already have what you like installed on an XP box, go into regedit, Navigate down to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT->UGpartfile->shell and export the registry keys for any actions you want to duplicate. Then import them on the Win7 box.

If you don't have what you want on an XP box, I've included a sample for doing in to mm conversion using the ug_convert_part utility. You should be able to edit it to suit your needs.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5e06d8e7-52cd-439c-8389-99b9cd31110f&file=convert_in_to_mm.reg
You can add it to the "send to" menu

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

Drag a copy of the .bat files to this folder and they will show up on the send to folder. I use this to send files to other applications by placing a shortcut to the application in this folder.

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT
NX6.0.5.3

It’s a beautiful thing! Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted. Have a beer on me.

FYI, I also include a refile button which is a handy cleaner / updater for our older data.

Thanks again

In the "send to" is ok and if I had to I would do it that way but I like the conversion buttons on the top not buried. I know I'm so anal in character. Not realy it's all about speed and making the boss happy but mostly lazyness on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back