Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding standard male thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkstosocks

Electrical
Jun 28, 2006
NZ
Hello,

I am new to Solid Works; I'm more used to Solid Edge. I'm trying to add M5 threads to a male screw part. The hole wizard can only thread the inside of a hole. Using the Insert.. Annotations.. Cosmetic Thread.. you must know the OD and ID, is there any way to just add standard ISO and ANSI threads to a male surface?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just model up the thread profile and do a cut revolve and a linear pattern. Nobody is going to be turning it to see that it is not a spiral, or grab a model from the library unsuppress the threaded section and build your part from there.

I don't think talktosocks is asking how to do it, he's asking why you cant pick "standard" sizes for OD threads with class fit and everything else the same way the hole wizard works for ID threads. Maybe its time for an enhancement request. Or at least I don't know of a way to do it, with cosmetic thread you have to tell it the minor dia. and then completely fill out the thread size.

mncad

Yes, I also dont know how to give standard male thread feature to custom parts. I have been using cosmotic threads for a long time, having no option.I am very curious to know, if there any way of doing that.

Though,in my opinion, this is not a critical issue for manufacturing/shop floor guys as long as we lable correct specification of thread on the drawing(atleast manually), still we should have some standard way of doing for this as well when everything else has.

Plese some one through light and share with us if they know. If at all SW doesn't has that option, then we should request for an enhancement.

Pa1

SW doesn't have the option because (like Russ said) nobody is going to be machining the part. If a pretty picture is what you want, then follow Scott's links. Just be aware that cutting threads in parts with a helix eats up your computer's brain power fast. The best bet is just to put a call-out on a drawing where you want the feature.

Dan

I'm not trying to model the threads, or "make a pretty picture" I just don't understand why solid works will allow you to designate standard threads for holes but not cylinders. You can do this *very* easily in Solid Edge, and I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do it in Solid Works

talkstosocks,

Why SolidWorks can't do that is anyone's quess. It just is.... :) Just like there are cool things that you can do in SolidWorks that you can't do in ...pick your favorite 3D modeler and insert here...

Best thing for you to do is put in an Enhancement Request for this on the SolidWorks website. Be sure that you mention that you can do this in SolidEdge. If enough people think this is important for them and they have also taken the time to create on enhancement request, it may get implemented.

FWIW,

Anna Wood
SW 2007 SP4.0, WinXP
Dell Precision 380, Pentium D940, 4 Gigs RAM, FX3450

What message do you get when you try adding a cosmetic thd to a cylinder?
Select either the edge or outside surface, add cosmetic thd.

Chris
SolidWorks 07 4.0/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 04-21-07)

ctopher,

Again, talkstosocks isn't saying that he can't do it. What he wants is to be able to pick a face, tell SW to create a threaded post and what size, then have SW do it. Now you have to model the cylinder, then pick the cosmetic thread and know all of the info to type into the cosmetic thread. Why can't SW do it just like the HW, only with studs instead of holes? Looks like I'll have to turn in ER.

mncad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back