Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding stiffeners

Status
Not open for further replies.

andykhoo81

Mechanical
Jul 31, 2005
AU
I have a problem adding stiffener to the object as I could not sketch a diagonal line and placing it in the centre of the workpiece when sketching in the 2D plane. How do I place the diagonal line in the middle?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You'll have a hard time getting such a vague question answered...

Is that all that you can tell about the geometry? Why can't you find the center of your stiffener?

Check out CATBlog!

When I draw a diagonal line ( for the stiffener) on the prototype on a 2D view, the line is seen at the edge of the prototype when viewed in the workbench. How do I shift the line to the centre of the prototype in order to create a stiffener.

Not too sure of your problem but:-

1/ pick the plane to sketch on, in this case ensure your plane is in the centre of the workpiece.
2/ In sketcher there is a useful sectioning Icon, using this you will see where the centre of your stiffener will be as the line is drawn, you can dimension to the object edge geometry as a guide. Also I would draw the diagonal line ensuring the end points do not touch either surface, somewhere close will be fine, in 3D this will be projected to the surfaces.
3/ Exit sketcher and pick the siffener Icon, choose either side to add material either side and all should be ok.
Hope this helps........

It sounds like you are a new V5 user, andykhoo81. Would that be a proper assumption? (I'm only asking to get a handle on how you're asking this question)

Secondly, whether you are, or are not, are you having problems establishing planes, or are you having problems with the stiffener function?

I'm getting mixed messages from your post. Since the chicken usually precedes the egg, why don't you confirm that you DO or DO NOT have a sketch plane defined...

Check out CATBlog!

I am a new user to V5R13. I am learning as I go along. I do not have a sketch plane defined, what is the purpose of defining it? I still could not find the sectioning icon in my sketcher.

If you are teaching yourself as you go along I think you face an uphill struggle, If you work along seasoned V5 guys this helps, otherwise it pays to get 5 training or at least work through a good V5 book, check Amazon to get you started.
Your sectioning Icon is there within the sketcher environment, but, you may not have the correct toolbar enabled, to do so, go onto your tool bar area and right mouse click, from here you can then select the VISUALISATION toolbar.
The sectioning Icon is in this set, looks like a red plane through a blue surface, hover your cursor over it and it should read "cut part by sketch plane".
This will be active when you click it but can be toggled on or off from within sketcher.

Your sketch plane is the container for the sketch. If you don't define it in its proper spatial context, you have no chance of using the stiffener function.

I didn't mean to be insulting earlier. Forgive me if I come across as blunt. I just was trying to figure out what your perspective was, because so many people come across the forums with the precept of knowledge, when in fact they have none. If you're a newbie, it's always good to identify your skill level to those who might be serving you. It's a matter of getting someone to focus the answer specifically on your issue, and not confusing you with other topics. (which even happens to those of us who have been around for awhile)

And there's no shame in being a newbie. Welcome to our world!

As for the answer to your question, I respectfully concur with the last 2 responses...

Hope that helps.

Check out CATBlog!

Thanks, I have solved the problem, as I did not offset the plane I want to work on, I have another problem, I have threaded a hole but it is not shown as threaded in the drafting drawings nor in the working workbench. I wonder why is it so?

I've never seen a thread symbol in an isometric view - what does it look like?

Does the thread show up in a end view or side view of the threaded hole?

Andy..

your said earlier: "I have turned on the generate threads but it is still not shown in the 3D workbench but as dotted lines in the 2D drafting page."

The dotted lines are the symbolic representation of threads on a drawing. That's how CATIA does it.

If you want a true representation, then you have to model the thread in 3D. Alot of work that takes alot of space, and is usually not worth the effort.

ok thanks everyone, i was just wondering why it is shown as threaded in all views except isometic. This is because pro engineer can do that.

Someone who is looking at the drawing must be thinking something is wrong with the drawing as the ismeometric views does not tally with the other views which is shown as dotted lines

jackk -

To add to what you said - not only is that "how CATIA does it," that's how the rest of the world represents threads according to *published* standards. It is, after all, still a *drafting* workbench, based on *drafting* standards.

It should not surprise, nor disappoint anyone that Catia does not represent threads. Why, would anyone in their right mind devote any amount of time or resources to such an effort as programming a true depiction of threads, knowing that there would be absolutely no gains to be had, even if it were possible? Thread representations on a 2D drawing are NOT value added, in 99.9% of the cases.

Of course, the same could oft be said of the 2D itself...

Check out CATBlog!

I agree, however we have had some cases where a 3-D depiction of the threads was required - as well as a drafting depiction of these same threads in an isometric view. The case is in Technical Publications, where they need a threaded fastener to appear different than a non-threaded pin. In their case, however, they were able to live with circular "threads" rather than an exact helical representation. In this case, we merely revolved a saw-toothed shape and viola.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back